Everybody's Waiting For The Man With The Bag...Oh, Wait... He's Dead

Climbing up the stairs to my room, I had a strange feeling in my chest. I looked at my reflection in the mirror, trying to remember how it was to be younger, and so excited about Christmas. Instead of a small girl with hopeful round eyes and a bright smile stood my current form: Frizzy strawberry-blonde curls that fell to my chin limply, dark circles that had seemed to make a home under my eyes, and... well, it didn't help that my old oversized t-shirt had some holes an mystery stains, and a big green fish printed on the front. It was my dad's shirt years ago, and despite it being... somewhat questionably gross,  it was a shirt that gave me comfort.

Climbing into bed, I tossed and turned for a bit, but couldn't stop thinking about being little, remembering that dream. Truth is, I have had several "festive" dreams. Vivid dreams, mostly when I was younger. The first dream I had, I had to have been about five. It was Christmas Eve and I had snuck out of my room to sleep on the couch to see if I could catch Santa... I remember meeting him, he gave me a strange snow globe and told me that it was very special. Well, technically an elf gave me the snowglobe... Pulled it out of a big bag and said it was only for me... specifically for me. The strange thing was, I while I still had that very snow globe, but Dad had just shrugged and said that he and Mom must have bought it for me at some point.

I kept it up on my shelf, but I haven't touched it for years. I turned again, my eyes meeting the small globe high up on my shelf. Slowly, and mostly out of curiosity, I stood on my toes and tried to reach it. I could just barely grab it. It had been a long time since I'd even taken the time to look at it, so a layer of dust had gathered along the surface.

I couldn't really make sense of what was inside. It looked sort of like a little snowman, but it kept shifting slightly, turning into a reindeer, then a little green elf building a toy. The colors continued to swirl around, until I looked like a little portal or something, swirling with greens, reds, purples, and blues. I almost dropped it out of surprise because the next image that surface looked real!

It looked like the back of Santa? It was moving all around as if "Santa" was riding a roller coaster. Some antlers could be seen in front of him, and he was flipping all around. Suddenly, from the white, presumably clouds around him, lights could be seen clearing out. A glimpse of a rooftop was moving closer into view, a snow-covered small front yard that looked a little too familiar. Suddenly the snow globe started glowing brightly in my hands. It was blinding to look at, gold beams lit my whole room, and for a slight second, it almost felt like I was floating above the ground.

THUMP

"Settle down there!" I heard called from my roof. I about dropped the snow globe. I scrambled to put it back on the shelf, but to my surprise, it wasn't glowing anymore, just a regular old snow globe with a snowman in the middle.

Stomp Stomp

More sounds could be heard from the roof.

Footsteps came running into my room. "Angie!"  Charlie shook my arm. "Angie, Angie,"

I looked down at him, rather wide-eyed, not sure about what had just happened. "W-What?"

"I heard a clatter!" Charlie continued to tug on my arm.  

Another loud noise could be heard above us.

"There, a clatter!"

The sound about made me jump. "Charlie, I'm going to get Dad."

"You hear it too?" He asked.

"Oh yeah I hear it,"

Both Charlie and I took off down the hall to my dad's room. He was snoring on his side in his blue polka-dot boxers. Charlie was quick to rush over and wake him up too. Charlie repeated everything he had said to me.