A Very Heartless Confession

October

There was always something here to keep me busy, so the days flew on by. There came a point where I was missing Dad and Charlie a lot, so I began religiously counting down the days until October.

Sure, I could have gone sooner if I wanted to, but October is when I told everyone I'd be back. I still watched them through my Snow Globe sometimes, which was always bittersweet. Charlie was getting bigger, although he didn't look it much, I could tell. I also felt bad for leaving Dad alone, he spent a lot of time checking his list, which he was now in the process of checking twice. Don't get me wrong, I loved living at the North Pole and the friends I've made here, but I also missed home, and it was clear at times that home missed me as well.

I didn't leave that many people other than Dad and Charlie behind, I only had a few friendly acquaintances outside of home. Before I could drive, Dad was always too busy with work to drop me off at a friend's house or have people over, so I didn't get close to other people like some of the other kids did. In a way, that made this transition easier. Dad would be here soon, and Charlie hopefully would be allowed to visit one day too. But for now, I had almost two whole months to look forward to spending with them before I had to come back.

"It's only the first of October, are you sure you want to go back already?" Bernard asked me, looking up from a pile of papers on his desk, a pen in his hand. I had just walked into his workshop office, a small red and gold room with a large dark desk in the middle.

"Well yes, I told my dad that I would come home in October, and it's October now." I shrugged with a smile. "I think I'm ready to be home for a while."

Bernard frowned but nodded. "I just need to finish some work up, but I suppose we can get going after that."

I waited in the office as Bernard finished marking his papers. I couldn't tell what they were for, but there were a lot of them. I began scanning some books on his bookshelf, knowing that if I did leave the room, Bernard would become consumed by his work and forget to find me when he finished.

Many of the books on his shelf looked very old and were in a variety of languages. There were some leather-bound books with flaky brown pages, large green books with fabric covers, and several encyclopedia-sized brown books on the bottom shelf that looked like the giant ancient Bible my grandpa used to keep in his living room.

"Angie, have you met someone?" Bernard asked me suddenly, glancing up at me and breaking my train of thought. He had a pair of golden reading glasses on, that kept slipping down to the end of his nose.

"Met someone?" The question caught me by surprise, I looked at him curiously, not sure what would incline him to ask me that.

"Yes, I was preparing some things in Santa's room late last night and when I was leaving to go home, I noticed a pink light coming from the crack under your door. It was bright enough to be visible on the other side, so I was curious. Did you meet someone?" He asked in a very calm collected manner. His eyes were steady and showed me no hint of what emotion he was feeling. He asked me this the same way you would ask someone a very casual question, such as their name, age, or birthday.

I had to stop myself from dropping my jaw open. A pink light coming from my room? It had to be from my snow globe if anything, nothing else in my room would shine pink, although I was not sure why it would be doing that. If it was "that", it wasn't something I'd seen or felt before. I began biting my lip, trying not to think about how many other elves had seen it. If it was truly that noticeable that someone walking by could see it, there's no telling how many elves had noticed.

I shook my head. "No I haven't... I wasn't even aware that was happening." I answered honestly, with a decent amount of confusion.

"Oh strange... That's very odd."