Christmas in The Jailhouse

"Now Dasher, now Dancer, now Prancer and Vixen!" Dad called out.

"On Comet, on Cupid, on Donner and Blitzen!" Charlie continued.

Dad took the reigns and flicked them a few times, and the sleigh hovered up into the air.

The reindeer took off, their legs kicking and running. It was very much the same feeling as an airplane taking off into the sky, that weird sensation in the pit of your stomach as you are being pushed back into the seat as the speed gains. The elves below us cheered, Charlie and I waved as we bolted off into the snowy sky.

"So Angie, are you going to tell me what that whole "chauffeur" to the sleigh was?" Was the first thing Dad asked me once we were a decent distance away, approaching the little portal at the top of the "North Pole Dome." "Do I need to go sit down with this boy?"

"Dad, it's Christmas Eve and this is what you want to talk about? We have a long night ahead of us," I shook my head. "And we have lots of features we wanted to tell you about-" I knew Judy, Bernard, the E.L.F.S... and some other important elves were probably listening through the speaker in Dad's hat, so I wanted to be careful with what I said.

Charlie, on the other hand, didn't care as much about what the other elves overheard. "Dad, you need to stop treating Angie like she is a kid! Your fear of her leaving you is going to negatively affect your relationship, and it's going to only add more strain to your family dynamics."

Dad and I gave Charlie a surprised, and bit weirded-out look.

"Neal," I whispered to Dad, and he nodded knowingly as Charlie continued.

"Furthermore, if you valued her happiness, then you'd want her to be happy with someone she loves. And I think Bernard is cool! I don't want her with anyone else."

I turned a bit red and looked away. I knew Bernard was probably facepalming in his chair, and everyone around him was probably poking and prodding at him to tease him. It was sweet that Charlie was standing up for me I guess, I didn't feel like Dad was going overboard, he always tended to tease me hard about things.

"Charlie...Look kid," Dad looked at him and tried to think of what was appropriate to tell a little kid. "I like Bernard, he is a cool kid, and I trust Angie. If you see me teasing her, it's not because I don't trust her."

"It's his job to embarrass me, don't worry." I chuckled awkwardly.

"You know, it's kinda cute in a weird "my daughter turned into an elf" way." Dad nodded slowly. He was always so bad at having these types of talks.

"Santa, we all think Bernard and Angie are adorable too," The three of us heard Judy's voice from the speaker in Dad's headset.

"Judy-!" Bernard yelled, then there were sounds of shuffling and giggling from a few different voices as if he was trying to take away the microphone from her unsuccessfully.

"Anyway!" I said loudly, "There's a microphone in your hat, as you can tell, that will connect you back to the elves. So try not to embarrass me too much?" I rubbed the bridge of my nose with my hand.

"Oh-" Dad's eyes widened. "Sorry," He said quietly.

"It's alright Santa," Judy giggled, she must have had the microphone above her head, standing on a chair or something to get out of Bernard's reach, since her voice was sort of quiet.

"I wasn't talking to you! Is there a mute button?" Dad took off the hat and started shaking it around.

"You just need to take it off if you want to say something you don't want them to hear... or turn it off speaker mode." I explained, showing him the switch on the side of the fur trim. "But don't do that now, there's no use."