Mistletoe

We returned to the Pole to cheering from all the elves. It was both less and more chaotic than last year in many ways. First of all, last year everyone was minding their own business, seemingly to be in a rush. This year, crowds of elves were around us, ready to ask us about our flight, why we were late, and how the jailbreak was.

As soon as I got out of the sleigh, Judy came over and hit my arm. "Angie! You didn't wear your microphone! Do you know how scary that was when you both weren't responding?" She hugged me extraordinarily tight before backing up and holding up a tiny earpiece.

"Nobody told me about a microphone??" I looked at her confused.

"Bernard was supposed to give it to you before you left! You went into his office, so I could have sworn that... wait. You know I saw you two walk out together, did you get distracted?'

"Judy! I'm safe! I'm fine! It worked out. And yes we got distracted, but I'll tell you about it later-"

"Yes, you better make it up to me over some cocoa at least." She raised her eyebrows with a small smile.

"Angie-" Bernard sped walked over as soon as he saw me. "Why didn't you wear your microphone? It took E.L.F.S thirty minutes to track your location." He asked me, just like Judy just had.

"Because you left it on your desk, you cotton headed ninny-" Judy started saying teasingly, but I cut her off.

"Woah woah, no need for that type of language." I laughed.

"Oh-" Bernard whistled.

"It doesn't matter- Oh! You guys, I think there was something you should check out on the side patio. You know the one that overlooks the ice garden? It looks like the temperature is dropping and they're starting to melt!" Judy quickly changed the subject.

"Isn't it something that can wait until tomorrow?" Bernard looked very tired, and I was too. Even with magical time skipping through portals, it took a lot of energy to deliver that many gifts.

"Nope, no. It's important, it looked pretty bad," Judy crossed her arms, a concerned look crossing her face.

"Why didn't you let me know earlier?" Bernard sighed, stretching his arms out with a big yawn.

"Well we were on communications, and organizing the E.L.F.S takes time! It wasn't as high of a priority!"

"Bernard, we can at least look quickly. It might help us figure out what to do tomorrow?" I yawned in agreement with his yawn.

Judy nodded, "Yes, now come on!" She lead the two of us down the hallway and past the workshop to the other side of the large building. "And act alive please, you two may have dark circles under your eyes, but at least act like you don't!"

"Judy please," I gave her a look. I was used to rushing here to there with Bernard when I was still in training, but it seemed that this type of thing didn't stop even on Christmas.

"Alright, go check it out," She paused at the towering stained glass doors, ushering us out to the patio. "Go on, it's right out there."

The two of us wandered out there. I squinted my eyes over the edge of the fenced stone deck, but I couldn't see anything wrong with the ice sculptures. "Judy, who told you that-" I turned around and she was gone, and the door was closed.

"I don't know what she was talking about," He shook his head, walking to the balcony and leaning over the edge to look further. "I think she was trying to mess with me."

"Or, mess with us." I said, it finally clicking.

"Ah-" Bernard's face was pretty blank, he yawned again slowly, then it seemed to click with him too, and he started laughing.