Santa Baby

From the bus, we went back to my house to drop off all the bags worth of clothing we had gotten. Dad was home by then as it was later in the afternoon, in a particularly grumpy mood.

"Oh gosh!" I dropped some of the bags, I didn't even recognize him at first. Both his hair and beard now were grey. He was wearing gym clothes, a white t-shirt, and red shorts.

"It's a hormonal imbalance he said- And middle age!"

Bernard stared at him with a look of such pity.

Dad looked surprised for a second to see Bernard, then embarrassed, then angry. "You!" He stood up and walked over. I didn't like how his stomach was hanging out. "You're the reason I'm like this!" He realized that he was towering over me as well, "And why are you so small??" He crossed his arms, "What is happening??" He squinted at all the shopping bags, "Did you guys go... shopping?" This idea seemed to confuse him even more.

"Yes, I took her shopping," Bernard looked at him with a straight face, "None of her old clothes fit her-"

"None of my clothes fit, but no elf has shown up to take me shopping!" Dad protested like a child.

"I'm sorry, did you put on the big coat or did someone else? That was your own decision, "Santa"." Bernard crossed his arms and glared back.

"I'll bring you shopping Dad, don't worry!" I rolled my eyes at the two squaring up with eachother. I could tell that living at the North Pole was going to be really "riveting" with these two butting heads all the time.

"I want an "elf" to bring me shopping." Dad said in a mocking voice.

"Oh my gosh, by the time you stop acting like a child I will be an elf. Now go... shave or something and let me be!" I pushed my arm between the two having a staring... glaring contest and took some of my bags upstairs. Bernard kept his stare at my dad while bringing the rest of the stuff up. The two of them really were just children.

The two of us returned downstairs, and Bernard went straight into the kitchen and started rummaging through the fridge.

Dad, who was now once again clean-shaven, and I both stared at him.

He pulled out a long sandwich that I knew was not in there moments before. At this point, I was just accepting that I was losing my grip on reality. You would have expected him to share a sandwich of that size but no. He wandered back to the living room, plopped on the couch, and started eating it all. He devoured half of it in about 10 seconds.

"What?" He paused, mouth full. "Never seen someone eat a sandwich before?" He rolled his eyes and ate the rest.

Dad gave him a grossed-out look and shook his head.

That evening, I took the bus to the venue where I would be performing. Dad said he would meet me there later with Charlie, and it seemed like Bernard wanted to come as well. Maybe Bernard just wanted to see me mess up. He didn't outright say he wanted to come, but he stayed the whole day hanging out on the couch. Charlie was dropped off sometime before I left, and he immediately went to Bernard to tell him about all the things that had happened since the last time they saw eachother. It was a little cute to see how they interacted with eachother. It was the only time I saw Bernard actually being nice and not just pretending.

A few people asked me if I had changed my hair, or perhaps done something new with my makeup, but strangely enough, nobody asked if I had magically shrunk five inches. I started keeping track daily to make sure. Before I started turning into an elf I was 5'2, still not tall, but not the shortest. I was 4'10 this morning when I checked. I would think that people I have sung with since I was an early teen would notice that I had shrunk so much, but perhaps it was one of those weird magic things. Thankfully, I was in the front row, so I wouldn't be engulfed by the people around me standing on the choral risers.