Girl Talk With Judy

I awoke surrounded by soft plush velvety blankets. They were dark forest green, the same ones I had fallen asleep in last Christmas. The same ones that matched the paneled walls, couch, and overall theme of the room. The walls towered above me, seemingly much taller than the last time I was here. Everything looked much more magnificent, perhaps because I was now so changed from who I used to be, that I had a different perspective. The reindeer and Christmas trees that were carved into the white and gold ceiling looked much more detailed and lifelike, almost like they were actually prancing, or the trees softly swaying in a winter breeze. Across the room on top of the mantel was my snowglobe, glowing away.

I heard a small knock at the door, and I went to answer it. I was wearing the same clothes I wore last night, which were surprisingly comfortable to sleep in. I opened the door to see a young woman, maybe a little younger than Bernard, holding a platter in one arm. She had long dark hair that fell far past her waist, a ruby red velvet dress, and a tall purple pointed hat sitting perfectly balanced on her head.

"Hello Angel, I'm Judy. We haven't had the chance to meet yet." She held out her free hand with a friendly smile. "I hope we get to become good friends."

I shook her hand, "I'm An-" I realized I didn't need to reintroduce myself as she had just said my name. "It's nice to meet you." I said instead.

"I'm sure you are hungry, I brought you some cocoa and pancakes." She had a very polite clear voice.

"Oh, thank you." I smiled and opened the door wider so she could step inside. She set the tray down on the end table near the couch and sat in the chair next to it. I sat beside her on the sofa and took a small sip. "Wow, that's the best cocoa I've ever had." There was no exaggeration, it was very good.

"It's my special recipe, I've been working on it for over 1,200 years." She gave me a proud grin. After a moment of hesitation, she asked, "Is it true that you got our Head Elf Bernard to go to a human amusement park? I didn't believe it when Curtis told me that it was the real reason he took the day off." She had a curious, yet amused look on her face.

"Yes..." We both laughed after a moment of silence passed after my response.

"Wow, that's very unlike him. How hilarious." She squeaked between giggles.

"He did put up a big fight, he didn't want to come at first. He has a big soft spot for my little brother though.." I pushed some of my hair out of my face, tying it back with a hair tie. I just realized how nice it was that I could pull my hair completely back without worrying about my ears anymore.

"Oh yes, most elves do. Children are the reason for everything we do, so most of us have an endearment to them." Judy watched me for a few seconds quietly with a small smile. "You know, Bernard has a fondness for you." Judy poured herself a cup of cocoa while saying this.

I almost choked on my drink. "What?" I answered in bewilderment. I immediately felt my cheeks burn hot. Of course, I knew to some extent yes, we were friends, and like most friends, we would have some sort of "fondness", but the way she said it sounded like it might be something more.

Judy giggled at my reaction, apparently, my choking and becoming flustered is her idea of something funny. "I don't think he did all those things for your brother only, Bernard is very stubborn, he wouldn't sway that easily for a child, even if he does have a soft spot."

"You're saying he did those things for me?" I looked at her, this was something I never considered. I thought Bernard came along because he also wanted to help inform Charlie about things, but I suppose it was always me asking him to.

"All I'm saying is that there isn't a single elf in the whole North Pole that could convince him to wear human clothes for a whole day, but you did. It's quite impressive really." She sipped on her drink. "And none of us have seen him in this good of a mood since... hundreds of years. I can't even remember." She leaned back in her chair and shook her head with a grin, "But you know, he's so painfully oblivious to both his own emotions and to others, that I don't think he will ever realize that himself."