What Would Santa Do

"I think we need to get Charlie home, just so Laura and Neal know he's alright," Dad said, once all of us were outside. The sleigh is there anyway, and I think it might be the right thing to do."

Both Charlie and I paused. "Dad, you realize that they planted police in their house to arrest you, right?" I gave him a look. "You don't think we should get the sleigh and leave? We have quite a few houses left."

"Dad please don't bring me home," Charlie begged, "Being with you for the last few months has been the best fun I've had in forever!"

"I'm sorry, sport," Dad rested his hands on Charlie's shoulders, "We can just stop in for a little, finish bringing the gifts and say hello."

I sighed, leaning my head back and looking at the stars. "Dad, I really don't think this is a good idea,"

"But I do, besides, I thought that they told me I was the "head elf" around the pole last year,"

"Which is totally not true by the way-"

"No, I know I'm not "thee" head elf, but I have to take charge as Santa, doing what Santa would do."

"Are you going to start saying "What Would Santa Do?" and make some cool W.W.S.D bracelets?" I asked sarcastically and Dad laughed.

The E.L.F.S dropped us off at the Miller's, wishing us luck.

It was apparent that he missed his mom, and Neal, maybe a little bit.

"Mom? Mom! Neal? I'm home!" Charlie ran inside as soon as we got to their front lawn. Dad and I followed a few steps behind.

The two of them came running in, sighs of relief as they held him close in their arms. I knew they must have been worried, and a slight pang of guilt did hit me seeing the three of them there. I suppose I did need to share him too.

Dad silently picked his hat up from the ground. We could hear sirens in the distance, and despite me tugging at his coat, he waited patiently in the living room, seemingly for the cops to arrive again. Dad gave me a knowing look, as if nodding my okay to leave and not be caught with him. I wouldn't ever do that, and neither would the rest of the elves who came all this way to rescue him, but I gave him a nod back, not planning on cutting this time short.

"Mom! Put me down, stop kissing me!" Charlie eventually began squirming from her arms.

"We don't have a lot of time," Dad said, twisting the hat in his red mittens.

"You leave the gifts I made under the tree?" Charlie finally hopped down from Laura's arms and walked over.

"You bet I did." Dad smiled, motioning to the pile of presents nearby him.

"Dad I can hear police, we should go," Charlie grabbed my hand and started walking towards the fireplace, seemingly changing his mind at once, despite us describing the plan.

"No, no. Hold on-" Larua and Neal stepped forward.

"It's okay, Laura," Dad looked at the two of them, and crouched down beside us, a hand on either of our shoulders. "Actually, I think it's a much better idea that you stay here with your mom and Neal,"

I nodded. Although I didn't want Charlie to not come back with us, the North Pole wasn't necessarily the best place for a kid like him to grow up.

"Really?" Laura's eyes were watering.

"But Dad,"

"No buts Charlie. I can't be selfish, and I can't have you all the time. We're a family- you,  me, your sister, your mom..." Dad struggled for words.