Bernard the Head Elf Experiences Santa's Village in Dundee Illinois

We arrived at the amusement park, after a few more of Charlie's questions and Bernard's long-winded explanations to each one.

"Do you kids have an adult present with you?" The ticket lady asked the three of us. "It's required to get into the park."

"I'm an adult," I stood on my toes to appear taller.

She didn't look to believe me so I handed her my license. She still looked at me cautiously, but eventually, let us in after asking a few more questions.

"Well, Charlie, which ride do you want to do first?" I asked him once we got inside. We were given a brochure of all the rides, there were mostly family rides, a few thrill rides, a water park, and some petting zoo animals. It was a cute little park, with little shops and stalls that were decorated like... well, Santa's Village. The employees were all dressed up like elves, which Bernard quickly commented looked "very" inaccurate. There was also a meet and greet with Santa and Mrs. Claus, which Charlie wasn't too interested in, having met the real deal.

"Look Angie, it says there are real reindeer here!" Charlie beamed excitedly. "I definitely want to go see those later."

"Will do bud, but first let's go on some rides! Go ahead, choose one!"

Charlie grabbed the brochure with the map from my hands and looked it over. "What about that one?" He pointed to probably the biggest ride on the map, a steel coaster called Typhoon.

Bernard shook his head, "That looks far too big and scary for children. Why don't we start with... this one?" He pointed to the tree house slide. "This looks like it would be fun, what do you say Charlie?"

Charlie shook his head, "No way! That looks like a baby ride, I want to do all the big rides!"

Bernard gulped. "Why did I agree to this." He muttered to himself.

"Come on Bernard, you'll be fine!" I laughed, he looked very nervous. It occurred to me that he probably never experienced anything like a roller coaster before. "Okay, how about this? We can start with the family rides-"

"Angie-" Charlie whined.

"Then move on to the bigger ones. That way, we can warm up to them." I looked at Bernard for a sign of approval but he just sighed.

"I guess that works." Charlie compromised seeing Bernard's hesitance. "But Bernard, you have to go on the big rides with me!"

"Something is wrong." Bernard was turning red, "I think maybe I am sick. My skin is hot and I am excessively clammy."

"Bernard, when is the last time you've experienced an actual summer?" I laughed at him, getting concerned with his own sweat. "It gets hot in places outside the North Pole."

"Why do humans talk about enjoying the summer so much, this is miserable."

"Let's get you on some rides, then see how you feel. I packed plenty of water, you'll be fine!"

Starting with small rides, Charlie chose one called The Snowball Ride. It was a ride with circular booths that spun when turned by a wheel inside. Charlie and I spun the wheel as fast as we could, while Bernard sat there holding on for dear life with his eyes shut tight.

Bernard was looking a little green when we got off, so I handed him some water so he wouldn't puke sparkles in front of everyone.

"Humans think that's fun?" He asked me. Charlie ran a bit ahead, and I was keeping my eye on him.

"It is fun, you just have to get used to knowing what fun is."

"Nausea isn't fun."

Next, Charlie wanted to bring us to a small dragon-shaped family coaster. It was one of those cute small ones that always found themselves at county fairs and such, but were a good choice for small children.