A Different Point of View

Bernard's POV: 

"Why did I think bringing her to my house was a good idea?" I thought to myself. I nervously fiddled with my keys when we reached the front door. It took me way too long to find the right one, but she didn't say anything. She was probably just being polite.

Sure, it was my idea to bring her here. I couldn't get cold feet now, but all that was looming in the back of my mind was how I haven't had anybody over in... forever, and I should have cleaned more.

"This is my house here," I opened the door for her.

"This is your house??" Angie responded with her eyes wide. I hoped that was a good thing.

"Go ahead and make yourself at home. I'll put on some tea." I slipped off my coat and hat and hung them up. She was watching me for some reason, so I quickly turned and ducked out of the room, running a hand through my hair. I had to relax, but I was feeling very tense about this whole thing.

We both had our share of discomfort since a "little rumor" began floating around the North Pole, so I was trying to be careful so nobody would say anything more. I was glad that all my curtains were already closed, so that I wouldn't have to do that in front of her, and have to awkwardly explain why. I've been feeling tenser like that around her lately, it was a feeling that was hard to explain. I summed it up to the rumors though, and not wanting them to spread. I did talk to Judy about it though, and she mostly giggled incoherently at me, which only made me more confused about the whole thing.

After grabbing two mugs from the cupboard, I turned on the stove and placed the old cast-iron tea kettle on top. After the water was hot, I poured us two mugs of peppermint tea and walked back towards the living room. I heard her talking to something, and I came out to see my cat, Nina sitting on her lap.

We started talking about Nina and cats, which fine of conversation as it was, I did bring her there for a reason.

"-What I really wanted to show you was this," I walked to my old china cupboard and pulled out my snowglobe. It always sat there on its little pillow where it wouldn't be knocked over by Nina. I picked up the snowglobe and it flashed pink for a split second, something I'd never seen before, so I paused, looking at it confused before it returned to glowing gold. I shrugged to myself before walking over to Angie to show her. "Odd," I thought.

"Wow," She looked at it with wide green eyes. "This is your snowglobe isn't it?"

I nodded and explained how it was made hundreds of years ago by practiced elves. It was one of the earliest snowglobes in existence really, which I thought was pretty amazing too sometimes. I watched her face while I talked, she was listening intently. I'm not totally sure why, but I found myself holding it out for her to look at closer. There wasn't another elf or person in the whole world I would let hold my snow globe other than me.

"Is it alright that I hold it?" She asked cautiously, but I could see her eyes eagerly watching, one of her hands paused in midair. In the soft glowing of the fireplace, her reddish blonde hair appeared like the light orange color of unbaked gingerbread cookie dough.

"I trust you," I responded. It was true, she was the only other elf who understood the importance of our snowglobes, so I did trust her. I trusted her more than most other elves here too, which was strange considering I've barely known her for a year.

I watched as she turned it, analyzing it with her soft green eyes. I sat down on the couch next to her, and she immediately looked up and met my gaze. "Did you used to help deliver gifts?"

This was a topic I knew would come up, but I wanted to avoid it for as long as I could.

I took a deep breath and nodded. It was embarrassing really, I didn't want her to think I was a disappointment like others had.