In Which Bernard Tells Santa All The Tea

The night ended in my room.

Before you start thinking, no, get your mind out of the gutter.

It was already about three in the morning by the time we got back, and with our little moment that just happened added onto that, it was nearly four-thirty. We were tired, no, exhausted. I don't know how it was we even made it to my room, my feet were so tired I felt as if they were going to collapse under me. So yes, I offered if he'd like to crash on the couch until the next morning.

One thing I've learned since being here is that elves are very particular and proper. Elf boys and girls didn't just "sleepover" with eachother unless they were married, so this could very well turn into a juicy piece of gossip. Well... were we a couple? It all happened in the span of one day, but we had yet to discuss what it was we were going to be called. But it was late, and I have to admit that I wasn't thinking about that at the time. After all, I did sleep over at his house already, for similar reasons... perhaps it wouldn't be too risque.

Bernard refused my offer at first, but as soon as his eyes caught a glimpse of my fireplace and how warm and cozy a nice couch would be he changed his mind. All it took was for him to simply sit on the sofa, and not two seconds later he passed out, slouching backward, his mouth hanging open.

I smiled to myself; it was sort of cute in a way. I slipped his hat off his head and threw a blanket over his lap so he'd stay warm, in case the fire died, and after that, promptly crashed into my bed and fell into a deep dreamless sleep. I didn't bother getting changed, it would take more effort and energy than I had at the moment anyway.

Bernard had told me that all the elves always slept in on Christmas since Christmas Eve was such a big ordeal. It was the day to finally relax and reap the rewards of another successful year. So, slept in we did. I hadn't even realized the time until bright sunlight from my window shone in brightly, causing me to pull my covers over my face. My stomach was starting to growl, which spurred me to roll over and check the time.

"11:30?" I thought to myself. It felt like seven in the morning, I hadn't felt this tired since high school.

I sat up slowly stretching my arms out until something caught my eye. A head of dark curly hair was still snoozing... no, snoring loudly on my couch. For some reason, I had expected him to leave early in the morning before any other elves woke up, but at this point, I knew some would be awake. Thankfully for us though, the Workshop would be empty today, other than some engineer elves doing some quick run-down tests on the list machine.

The only person I'd have to worry about was-

Knock Knock Knock

"Hey kiddo, you awake?" I heard Dad's voice call from the other side of the door. "Turns out all the elves have breaks today, so I made us some breakfast, well, brunch if you're hungry."

Well, if there was any being alive that I would not want to come in right now it would be my Dad. He was prone to jump to conclusions, worse than any of the elves here I've met.

"Uh- one second. I'm getting dressed!" I lied, quickly jumping out of bed. I shook Bernard's arm and he jolted up. I shushed him, and mouthed, "Bathroom. Go."

"Alrighty," Dad yawned. "Long day yesterday, huh?"

"Oh yeah, definitley," I called. Bernard was still looking confused, as anyone would be if they were woken up abruptly and shoved into a bathroom. "Stay." I closed the door, suddenly realizing that I was in my clothes from last night, so I should probably actually throw on some other clothes to make my excuse make sense.

Digging around in my closet, I pulled out my ugly, but Bernard's favorite blue snowflake sweater we bought at the store, along with a pair of light brown flowy overalls.