In Which Bernard Crashes My Wedding

I stood in the room, hands shaking slightly. In the reflection of the mirror was someone who did not look like me at all. It was all so... extra. And that's saying something coming from an elf.

It was the chunky beaded necklaces, large fluffy veil, giant pearl earrings, and bright blue eyeshadow, which altogether, made me look right out of an old magazine... but not in a good way.

I had to simply hope that Bernard would be able to break the two E.L.F.S out to help, and more so, that Dad would realize I'm missing by now, and send even more elves over.

How was I going to get Bernard's snow globe back though? It would be hard to sneak it off of a scepter the King never put down... especially now that he knows of the powers it has, he wouldn't dare let it out of his sight.

There was a knock at the door, and the blonde gnome lady scurried over to crack it open.

"Lizbetha, our great and gracious Leader is ready for the ceremony. Is the elf girl ready?" Said a squeaky voice from the other side.

"As best we could make her," She shook her head. "She's an ugly thing, won't talk either."

I really just hoped that someone would be able to get there before I had to kiss the King... I didn't want to have to think about the ceremony. I had to remain calm, had to play along... Gnomes were not very smart, so as long as they think their plan was working, I could buy myself time.

I turned, slowly, putting on my calmest and most put-together face. I was already in costume, I just had to play the part.

"I'm ready," I smiled sweetly.

Ronrug and Jormop stood on either side of me, each gripping an arm so I couldn't "try anything" as they put it.

"What did you do to her?" Jormop whispered regarding my sudden change in demeanor, "She just kept spitting and cursing at me- Did you put her under a spell?"

"Ah my beautiful bride!" Squealed the King as I stepped into the room, throwing his arms up.

I tried to smile, but it felt more like a polite grimace.

He was dressed in a tiny white suit, with gold trims around the buttons and seams. In place of his regular long red cape, was a white one, twice as long. A few gnome ladies had to follow behind him holding it up so he wouldn't trip over the length. His long beard was braided in two braids, almost giving the appearance of long grey tusks.

The room was quite large and roomy. It was white, with large carved pillars on each corner of the room, as well as around the large arch-shaped windows. The room looked like some sort of old church hall, with many wooden pews lined up on each side, and a thin red carpet rolled down the middle of the cobble. There was an organ with its copper pipes reaching all the way to the ceiling, and a tall collared wearing gnome with a tall hat warming up some scales. It was a pretty room, I had to admit, but not one I'd want to marry an old gnome in.

I fixed my eyes right behind the King as he continued to squeak about this and that, and could immediately tell what was going to happen. There was a fireplace somewhat conveniently placed behind the altar. One problem, there was currently a big fire going inside.

"Are we ready to proceed?" An extremely old gnome in floor-length black robes asked. He was wrinkled and hunched over, with what looked like an ancient leather religious book in his ancient leathery hands.

The King nodded, "Yes, bring her into the waiting room and allow the guests into the cathedral." He ushered two of his servants to the door who left to open the castle doors.

The two lady gnomes brought me to the broom closet in the hall just outside of the church area. I had a feeling that this was not the waiting room the King was talking about, but I ignored it anyway.