Kidnapping My Grandparents, Oh Boy

"This was a bad idea, why did I let you convince me to go along with this?" Bernard muttered under his breath, his arms crossed tightly and his eyes widened.

"Convince you? This was your idea, remember?" I rolled my eyes.

The three of us, that is me, Bernard, and Dad were flying the sleigh down to Los Angeles to pick up my grandparents for my birthday. It was early evening so that we wouldn't attract as much attention flying over. Sandman would meet us there to knock them out just long enough for the flight back to the Pole.

I had to admit that I was a little nervous as well. Previously, my excuse on "where I had been" was that Dad was on vacation and I came along, then a long business trip, then finally he had been offered a new job in Canada. So of course, we were all going to "Canada". It sort of worked... Dad went from being a toy maker to being "thee" toy maker, so the jobs worked out. As for explaining the elves... there wasn't a great explanation for why about a billion small children were wandering around Dad's "job", so we settled on Canadians being naturally... or supposedly unnaturally small.

They of course had not seen the two of us in a long time, which begged the question... would they notice the changes since they were so drastic, or pass it off as a time thing? 

"Okay, let's land this baby," Dad steered the sleigh down to my Grandparent's roof. It was a two-story condo with bright teal stucco walls and a tiled red roof; an eccentric home for an eccentric couple.

We had told them that we would fly down to visit, then fly them back, as it was the only excuse we could give for them not to book plane tickets to literal Canada. We had even gone through the effort to have most of the elves wear more human-looking clothes than normal, to blend in. I had to admit that seeing Dad in human clothing again was sort of weird, I had grown accustomed to the red suit.

"Is that our little Angie?" My grandma opened the door to Bernard and me standing there, Dad behind us. My Grandma Esme was a tall pale woman with curly bright red hair, a bit more unnatural than when I was younger, and dark hazel eyes. "Cormac, they're here!" She called to the large house behind her, her voice echoing in the halls. "And who is this strapping young man?" Her glittering eyes quickly fell on Bernard and she did a quick one-over before turning to Dad again. "Scott, it's good to see you again." She said all of this... "greeting" in the span of about thirty seconds. My Grandma Esme was a quick talker. She spoke in a lilted high pitched voice, with a very strong accent. Even so, she was much easier to understand than my Grandpa Cormac, who, when he got excited practically could be impossible to understand at all.

"Uh-" Bernard was unsure whether he should answer her question or not.

"It's a pleasure as always, Esme." Dad gave a warm smile and she pulled him in for a hug, before also adding me to the hug pile.

My grandpa came to the door a few moments later. He was a short man, although you couldn't really tell his exact height in his chair, with, what hair he had left, was pure white. "By golly Scott, what ever's happened to ya? Look at the state of him, Esme." He turned to my grandma as if everyone there couldn't hear him. "He's gained about a' two hundred pounds he has!"

"Cormac mind yer business, he's payin' for our travels after all. Why don't we all come inside for a nice sit-down, huh?" My grandma ushered us inside. "And tell me Angie, who's the boy?" She did seem to be looking at me rather strangely, doing a double take before immediately asking another question, "Did ya really not grow all that much after you went back to live with yer Dad again? Poor thing, takes after Cormac she does. Poor feller never grew beyond 5'5 and a half-" She continued to ramble excitedly on, somewhat to herself.

Bernard and I sat on the bright orange couch, while Dad and my grandparents sat on other brightly colored furniture around the spacey living room.

Like the outside, the walls were bright blue. Each wall had a fancy hand-painted mural and artwork from all around the world. The ground was concrete, but a large oriental rug covered a large portion of the living area. A piano sat against one wall, next to many plants and random assortments of different colored vases, a bookshelf, and a random tall sculpture of a hyper-realistic flamingo.