The Little Green House at The End of Elf Village

August 1995

One thing about myself that I have learned, having been a performer, is that I really don't like being the center of attention unless I want to be. I did not like being the center of his big old rumor at the North Pole, and almost everyone felt entitled to come up and comment about it at one point or another. I used to have elves coming up to ask me about what it was like to go from being a human to an elf, how I was adjusting to my powers, or how I liked the Pole, but now they would ask me about Bernard if we were doing well, and how happy they were that he found someone.

Perhaps I was being a little dramatic, it seemed that mostly the older women elves that would talk to me, the ones who would all go get tea in the shops and gossip with eachother. They all tried to convince me that I must be lying to them when I told them that, in fact, Bernard and I were not dating. The younger elves all caught on quickly that we were just friends, which was nice, but it was still embarrassing that so many elves knew about the whole "wrapping situation" because of the gossipy older elves.

It was a late Saturday afternoon when I heard a knock on my door. I was sitting by my fireplace with a cup of cocoa looking into my snow globe. I was beginning to miss Charlie a lot, so as creepy as it was, I would watch him sometimes. I didn't dare talk to him through the globe though, afraid of what Laura and Neal might do if they heard Charlie talking to himself in his room. Right now it was August, and he was running around outside with a couple of friends at the park. I smiled softly, at least he was happy and doing well.

I glanced up to see Bernard walk in. The picture of my brother faded from my snow globe and replaced itself with the dim blue glowing. It had been glowing different colors randomly, most of the time it would sit on my fireplace mantel with its little snowman sitting on the hill, but it sometimes almost acted like a mood ring, glowing bright or dim depending on how I was feeling.

"Hey Angie," Bernard took a step in and glanced at the small orb in my hands. "Long day?" He held his brown coat and a scarf in one arm.

I nodded, "I came here to hide away and creepily watch my family without their knowledge."

Bernard chuckled softly, "I know the feeling." He stood there not saying anything for a moment, just rocking back and forward on the balls of his feet.

"Was there something you wanted to talk about?" I asked him, "Or are you going to stand there stalling?"

"I was about to head home for today, Curtis is taking over for the weekend, and I was thinking that maybe I could walk you through the village? Since you haven't seen it yet. And I wanted to show you something." Bernard finally let the words out. "If you don't have anything else you need to do today of course."

I had been curious about seeing the rest of the village, I had only seen the "Santa" sections of the Pole, the stables, the workshop, and the living quarters, but I haven't been down into the Elf Village to see where all the elves lived their regular lives.

"Sure, let me go grab my cloak." I smiled and stood up, setting the globe back down on the mantle. I grabbed my burgundy hooded cloak from my closet and pinned it around my shoulders, then pulled on a pair of matching pointed elf boots. "Alright, I'm ready." I met him back by the door and we started off down the hallway.

We walked down through the workshop and out from the stables. From there, we had to continue straight through the front area where we would hold elf games. Streets opened up past there, with little shops and light posts, and benches. Twinkling lights wrapped around the light posts and fences, illuminating the darkening street with a warm light. Further on were the chimneys of little elf houses, that looked just like human houses, but more whimsical and colored, with round windows and strangely shaped roofs.