Elf Hijinks at the Water Park

"There's a water park here?" Bernard raised an eyebrow. "Very odd for a North Pole knock off."

"I forgot, I should have gotten you a swim suit," I told him, "If you wanted to swim that is."

"I haven't gone swimming in..." Bernard thought, "I can't even remember. It was before I was an elf."

"They don't have any hot tubs or heated pools at all at the North Pole??" I was shocked, I was not going to live the rest of my prolonged life never swimming again. "I am going to talk to my dad about that when we get there."

"Bernard we should swim! They have water rides and slides, and you would like them!" Charlie urged him to comply.

"We could see if one of the stands here sells souvenir swim suits?" I suggested, "So you don't have to swim in jean shorts?"

The three of us found one of the gift shops, and sure enough, there were a pair of swim trunks. They were bright blue with palm trees and little shirtless surfing Santas all around.

"Do you guys have anything else?" Bernard asked, holding the quite gaudy pair of swim shorts up.

The employee shrugged, "They don't come in high enough demand for us to restock the other colors."

Bernard frowned but went to grab some money anyway. I stopped him from paying.

"I dragged you along, let me buy the shorts for you," I told him. I knew he hated them and was just doing this for Charlie, so I felt bad if he would have bought them. Bernard went to object, but I handed the money to the cashier already.

"Hey, why did you do that?" He asked as we walked away.

"Bernard, 30 bucks isn't the end of the world." I laughed, and he gave me a small smile in return.

"Just this one time," He took the bag from my hands.  

"Debatable,"

I waited for Charlie to change into his swimsuit first so that one of us could always be watching him when he came out. Charlie's trunks were red with a white bandana print on them. My swimsuit was a classic high-waisted indigo bikini with high-cut legs. It was fun enough to be flirty, but not "too fun" that I would feel uncomfortable wearing it in front of anybody. I had a matching sarong I wrapped around myself as well, just so I wouldn't feel like my butt was hanging loose when I was still walking around.

When I walked out of the changing room, Bernard instantly looked away, a maneuver that my dad would no doubt approve of. I felt bad when he changed, as it was apparent how completely naked he felt. If he thought jean shorts were practically naked, no doubt without a shirt and shoes, he would feel even more exposed. He walked out covering himself with his arms. His skin was so unbelievably white, that I thought I felt I would blind myself simply by looking at him, which was a lot coming from me.

"This is horrible, i'm changing back-"

"Bernard, no!" Charlie grabbed one of his arms, which he yanked away and pulled back to cover himself again.

"I- I can buy you a t-shirt if you'd like." I suggested, "If that would make you feel better?"

After some more hesitation, he nodded with a sigh. "I can't believe i'm doing this. Curtis would say I'm breaking at least 30 rules."

"Curtis doesn't need to know!"

I went back to the gift shop and of course, the only t-shirt available had pictures of sunbathing elves on it, along with the matching surfing Santas on his shorts. I bought it anyway and walked back.

Bernard took one look at it and shook his head. "That's patronizing, I can't wear that!" He hissed in a low whisper.

"Okay, then put on your black shirt, but you'll have to wear this one home so you don't get my car all wet." I rolled my eyes at him. I did get it though, I wouldn't want to wear matching swim shorts and t-shirt like that.