The Board of Gnomes

"Uh... It's nice to meet you, sir...?" Dad said, unsure of how he was to address the tiny man.

"It's King Felpip or Dear Leader to you." He angrily grumbled, sort of how Charlie would sound when he was little and groggy after a nap.

"Pleasure," Dad nodded, now careful and aware of where his hands were in relation to any of the little gnomes. "Can you explain to me what seems to be the problem?"

"The prob- The problem is that we have been under-appreciated for too long!"

The other gnomes cheered in agreement.

"We supply you with all your tools and woods for your toys, yet we aren't even recognized along with your "superior" elves! Now tell me, how that makes sense? No gnomes and you wouldn't even have Christmas."

I wrote down what was taking place during the meeting to keep track of what was happening.

"Er, King Felpip-" Bernard began but the gnome immediately clutched his heart in an offended huff.

"I told Santa that he could address me as so, not one of his..." He looked him up and down with disgust, "Elves."

"Well, sir," Bernard obviously was somewhat used to gnome behavior, because he ignored his comment. "You probably don't remember me, but I'm Bernard, hi." He placed his hands together and tilted his head with a tight-lipped smile. "I'm Santa's Head Elf, and actually, currently, this is a new Santa so he's still learning the ropes, so I will be helping him out today." 

The gnome leader opened his mouth to retaliate, probably about forgetting Bernard, and how offensive that also was, but Bernard kept talking. The other gnomes looked to and from each other unsure of what to do.

"What you also seem to have forgotten was that your great great great grandfather, King Yupold III signed an agreement when we first began purchasing products from you in which he wanted in no part to be recognized by humans who he thought were lower than him. We handled Christmas before without gnomes, and I know you care about profit too much to not want to deal with us after every other magical species has refused with your behavior. So, I suggest you tell us what it is that you want, and we will figure it out, but other wise, we will be taking our business elseware."

The elf side was filled with smug smirks, completely opposite to the completely red faces of the gnomes. 

"The disrespect! How dare you, an elf  speak to me in such a way?" The King slammed his scepter on the ground a few times but paused, his brows furrowed angrily.

Dad sat with his mouth slightly open in shock, completely out of the loop.

"Say what you want, but I can pull out the contract. In fact, I was there when it was signed, and I will gladly go over our agreement... for the thousandth time..." Bernard said with a stiff smile, the last part as a hushed whisper under his breath. "We have honored our side of the agreement, providing you with a substantial amount of the toys we make with your provisions, as well as the financial amount we agreed on. As you can see here,"

Bernard reached behind him and one of the elves handed him the contract, which, by the wear marks on the roll, it was obvious that this wasn't the first time he had to do this, and slid it in front of the gnome leader's face. "We gnomes agree to provide top quality tools and woods, without blemishes or tarnishing, yada yada yada, you get the idea." Bernard snatched it back, raising his eyebrows in an unamused expression. "You know what happens if you violate." Bernard sat back down in his chair to the right of Dad. "By the way, the Harpies have been wanting to do business with us, so if you do really wish to test us, I will advise Santa to do so."