Sugar, Spice, and Everything Nice

"Well, you know, I have to give it to you. Out of all the things I thought you would say, that was not on the list of possibilities." My Grandpa finally said after Dad explained everything.

"I would say this whole thing is stupid but it's kind of hard to argue when there's an actual flying man right there and- Oh goodness, Angie, your ears??" My Grandma suddenly leaned forward, as if noticing my ears for the first time. Magic was weird.

"You guys may be shocked, but imagine how I was when I suddenly gained 200 pounds and went white overnight?" Dad chuckled.

"Mr. and Mrs. Collins, you have to understand that you cannot speak of this to anyone. I should also warn you that your exposure to magic will also have some interesting effects on life at home from now on. You will start to notice many things that you may not have before." Mother Nature calmly stated in a stern yet kind voice.

"Such as...?"

"You'll start noticing the pixies and gnomes, at least I did," Charlie, who had snuck into the room at some point added to the conversation.

Bernard frowned at the mention of gnomes.

"Such garden pests," I mumbled.

"Hold on, exactly how much of all of this is real?" My grandpa looked up at the council members. "Bigfoot?"

"Subspecies of Yeti." Father Time shrugged.

"Lochness Monster."

"Just a Lake Monster, they're pretty common, it's like a mix of a large salamander thing and a alligator but really big," Charlie explained, using his hands to exaggerate the size.

"Mermaids?"

"They prefer to be called Sirens," Bernard corrected.

"Wow, this is just-" My grandpa shook his head. "You guys aren't pulling our legs- You better not be-"

"It is a lot to take in, believe me, I know." I smiled, "Imagine how I felt when I was told I was going to be turned into an elf."

"Or that I was going to be turned into Santa. You'd think I'd have been given a warning."

"There was the card-"

"Not now, Barthalomew."

After the council members concluded their meeting and took their leave, we were left alone to answer any leftover questions. Well, it was mostly Bernard answering their questions as Dad and I nodded along since we were still pretty new to everything.

"So wait, how much older is Bernard than you... If you just turned 20 and he's been an elf for..." My Grandma thought hard, "That doesn't seem entirely healthy,"

"I- uh, elves work differently, try not to think too hard about it."

Bernard awkwardly looked around, "Trust me, I only have good intentions."

"And people called me a cradle robber," She shook her head, adding a few disappointed "Tsk tsk tsks."

"Well Scott, How do you feel about all of this?" Grandpa Cormac finally asked, after mostly staying silent and taking things in.

"About those two?" Dad questioned, "Well, as long as they keep PDA under control I try not to intercede."

"He does anyway," I gave him a look.

"And I have my rules you know there's-"

"Scott, she's 20 years old." My grandma laughed, "Please don't tell me you're turning into one of "those" parents."

"One of "those" parents?" He asked, raising an eyebrow offended. "I'm just protecting my daughter."

"As much as I think the age gap is a bit excessive, this young gentleman hasn't given me any reason to believe he would be up to something." She stood up to face him.