xciii. drunk on the job

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐒𝐢𝐱
𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐃𝐢𝐯𝐞
part one

𝐎𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐝𝐫𝐢𝐯𝐞 𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤 𝐭𝐨 𝐌𝐚𝐩𝐥𝐞 𝐒𝐭𝐫𝐞𝐞𝐭, no one spoke

𝐎𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐝𝐫𝐢𝐯𝐞 𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤 𝐭𝐨 𝐌𝐚𝐩𝐥𝐞 𝐒𝐭𝐫𝐞𝐞𝐭, no one spoke. Even Dustin and Robin, two chatterboxes, remained silent in the back of Steve's car. Not even the radio was playing. Steve's hand didn't leave Lily's for the entire journey. He held on to her as if he were afraid she would disappear if he let go. Lily had her head turned towards the passenger window. She didn't know how she was meant to react upon finding out she was a day, maybe less, away from having to escape being murdered in the most gruesome way possible. It was too much to handle.

Everything thing that had happened to her over the last few days added up now. She was Vecna's next victim. She had heard the clock chiming. She had been in his mind.

There was was every chance he could come back for her at any second and just because Max had managed to get away, didn't necessarily mean Lily would be able to. What if the others couldn't find her favourite song? What if they couldn't find it in time? Or what if they didn't know her favourite song? Her favourite song changed a lot.

Once they pulled up outside the Wheelers house, Dustin and Robin climbed out of the car first. Lily tried to follow them, but Steve didn't let go of her hand, so she sank back in her seat. She looked over at him. He was staring at the steering wheel, jaw clenched and his face still pale.

"I swear to god, Lily-" He began, his voice wavering, "I will do everything I possibly can to keep you safe. I promise".

"But what if that's not enough?" She said, quietly.

Steve turned to look at her, the tears in his eyes close to spilling over. "I can't lose you. I'm nothing without you".

Whatever had been stopping Lily from crying, was ripped away by Steve's words. Fear, anger, and sadness tore through her all at once and she found herself close to sobbing. "I'm scared, Steve" She said, tears rolling down her face,"I'm scared. I don't want to die. I'm not ready".

At this, Steve leant over the centre console and took her face in his hands. "You'll be okay. I won't let you out of my sight, not even for a second. I won't let him get you".

He swiped his thumbs under her eyes, wiping away the tears that had fallen, and then pulled her into a hug. They remained that way for a long time, clinging onto each other as if they were afraid to let go. Lily dug her face into his shoulder. The closer she was to him, the safer she felt. In that moment, she loved him so much it hurt.

Eventually, they went inside. Bleary eyed and still shaken up, Lily followed Steve down to the Wheelers basement. The second she appeared, all eyes were on her. Max looked sympathetic, Lucas, Dustin, and Nancy looked concerned, and Robin looked like she was about to cry.