xxiv. the new kid

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐎𝐧𝐞
𝐌𝐀𝐃𝐌𝐀𝐗
part one

"𝐉𝐞𝐬𝐮𝐬, 𝐈 𝐬𝐚𝐢𝐝 𝐈'𝐦 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐠!" Lily yelled to her friend, hurriedly shoving on her shoes and running out the door

"𝐉𝐞𝐬𝐮𝐬, 𝐈 𝐬𝐚𝐢𝐝 𝐈'𝐦 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐠!" Lily yelled to her friend, hurriedly shoving on her shoes and running out the door. Stopping halfway up the drive to pick up the textbook she'd dropped, she stumbled and almost tripped over her lace. Cursing to herself, she reached Cindy's car and climbed in, trying to ignore the look of disapproval she was receiving and instead focusing on re-tying her lace.

Eventually, she sighed, "Stop looking at me like that, I'm not even late today. You're here like half an hour early".

"Cause I've got an interview, remember?" Cindy frowned.

Lily let out a small, "Oh" In response and said, "Shit, I forgot that was today, I'm sorry. We'll still get to school in time though, right?"

"I hope" Cindy replied, driving a little a faster than usual.

October of 1984 was colder than usual, and as the fall season approached it's peak, it was only getting colder. The leaves had pretty much fallen from every tree in Hawkins, and the nights were growing longer each day. But, despite the weather, most of the town, including Lily, were still in high spirits, as Halloween was approaching.

Lily had already had her fair share of horror the previous year, after learning about an alternate dimension and coming face to face with a demogorogn, all in one night. This year, however, the only form of horror she wanted to face were the costumes at Tina's Halloween party.

For the third year running, the younger girl was hosting the high school party, and as tradition, had enlisted Lily to help her organise it. So far, she had helped Tina write out the invites, buy decorations, and had succeeded in getting alcohol from the local store, by flirting with the cashier.

Deciding to bring up the party to Cindy, as she hadn't yet asked her to come along with her, Lily gingerly cleared her throat, "Are you excited for Halloween tomorrow?"

"Not really" Cindy shrugged, "I'll be studying all evening".

"Well, you could always come to Tina's party" Lily said, as casually as she could, "It'd be fun to go together".

Cindy shook her head, "No thanks, I'll pass".

Lily bit the inside of her cheek to hold back her response. She knew Cindy was already annoyed at her for being late, so she didn't want to annoy her further by trying to convince her to come to the party and risk her not going. So, for the time being, she simply nodded at Cindy's reply and let the conversation come to an end.