xlviii. dungeons and dragons

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐍𝐢𝐧𝐞
𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐆𝐚𝐭𝐞
december 1984, one month later

𝐎𝐧𝐞 𝐦𝐨𝐧𝐭𝐡 𝐥𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐫, Lily and Cindy were sat at the table in the Andrews' dining room, both of them heavily focused on what they were doing

𝐎𝐧𝐞 𝐦𝐨𝐧𝐭𝐡 𝐥𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐫, Lily and Cindy were sat at the table in the Andrews' dining room, both of them heavily focused on what they were doing. Cindy was heavily absorbed in her Chemistry essay, while Lily, who was also meant to be doing an assignment, was flicking through a magazine. Both girls had their separate priorities that day.

Since Cindy had been found, Lily had done everything possible to show she was sorry. Her first effort had been the morning after. Steve had driven her to the hospital with the nicest bunch of flowers she could find. She had given them to Cindy while apologising profusely and Cindy, looking weary but happy to see her, forgave her.

Then, with the help of Steve, Lily had told Cindy about the Upside Down. They figured there was no point lying to her, as she had been down there for several days. Hawkins Lab had been forced to shut following the events of November, so there was no longer the threat of breaching any confidentiality contracts they'd signed.

"I remember walking home from the party and seeing Will Byers" Cindy had said, after listening to their lengthy explanation, "He was having a nervous breakdown or something, and he seemed to be on his own. I went over to ask him if he was okay, but as I did, he vanished and I was somewhere else. It was like Hawkins, but darker. I was there for about two days, trying to find my way out, but I must have collapsed at some point, cause the next thing I remember was waking up here" She'd told them, which had made sense.

This, of course, was not what those outside the party had been told. In an attempt to conceal the truth behind Hawkins Lab and the Upside Down everyone, including Mr and Mrs Maddison, had been led to believe that Cindy had been exposed to a chemical from the lab; the same story that was also used to explain the death of Barbara.

Now, when Lily wasn't spending time with Steve, she was with Cindy. She was determined to amend the years of friendship they'd lost, as a result of Tommy and Carol. Even when Cindy had assignments to do, Lily would insist on them hanging out, not caring if she had to be silent.

"Cin, which blue would look better?" Lily asked, holding up the magazine to show her a nail polish advertisement, totally forgetting that Cindy had just told her to be quiet.

Cindy rolled her eyes, "The second one. But shouldn't you be doing your History essay? You said it was due soon" She frowned, "Then maybe I could concentrate".

"No need, I've already got that sorted" Lily smirked.

"You mean you paid Robin Buckley to let you copy hers?" Cindy scoffed, "I thought that you not hanging out with Tommy and Carol would make you work a little harder".

Lily shrugged, "What's the point? I'm not going to college, so I don't need to get good grades for anything".

Just then, her mom appeared in the doorway, "Do you girls want anything? I'm about to go over to Karen's, but I can make you something to eat before I go, if you'd like?"