xxxiii. the wheelers are no help

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐅𝐨𝐮𝐫
𝐖𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐖𝐢𝐬𝐞
part two

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐓𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐲 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐂𝐚𝐫𝐨𝐥 had put Lily in a bad mood, so she decided to skip school for the day

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐓𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐲 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐂𝐚𝐫𝐨𝐥 had put Lily in a bad mood, so she decided to skip school for the day. Her life was going downhill at such a pace, that she no longer cared about her Principal's threat of suspension. It was a long walk from Hawkins High to her house, giving her time to cool down and think over what had happened.

From the day Lily had met Carol back in middle school, she'd become obsessed with her popularity, almost overnight. She had thrown herself into a world of boys, parties, and gossip, and her friendship with Cindy had been pushed aside. Now that she was finally coming to realise it, she felt awful.

Her anger had subsided, but she in no way regretted anything she'd said to Tommy and Carol. She was in the same position Steve had been in the previous year, and she finally understood why he'd reacted the way he did. Tommy and Carol hadn't cared about Nancy then, and now, they were acting in the same way towards Cindy.

The moment Lily was home, she ran into the kitchen and dialled Cindy's number. She was sent to voicemail, so with her voice shaking, she left another message. "Hey Cin, it's me again. You were right about everything. You were right about Tommy and Carol, and you were right about me. I'm so sorry. If you're ignoring me cause of the fight, please just call me back. I want to talk to you-"

Her message exceeded the time limit before she could finish and she slammed the phone down. There were few people that would be able to understand her concern for Cindy and she didn't know who to turn to for help. Her first thought was to call the Wheeler siblings, but they were both at school, so she'd have to wait. However, she also had two more options; Jim Hopper and the Byers'.

She quickly went and grabbed the phone book from the living room and flicked through the pages until she came across the police department's number. She dialled it and waited for an answer, a small glimmer of hope emerging.

"Hawkins Police, how may I help?" A woman answered.

"Hi, is Jim Hopper there? I need to speak to him".

"You've just missed him. He's gone out and he didn't say when he'll be back. Is there anything I can help you with?"

Lily's heart sank, "No, but thanks" She said, and she put the receiver down, feeling slightly disheartened.

Ruling Hopper out for now, she looked in the phone book again and found the Byers' number. She dialled it in and waited for someone to pick up. This time, no one answered and she was sent to voicemail. She tried once more, but after no response, she slammed the phone down, the small glimmer of hope starting to diminish.

Feeling dismayed, she sank down onto one of the kitchen chairs and buried her face in her hands. She felt her lip quiver and she allowed a few tears to roll down her face, for the first time since Cindy had disappeared. She hardly ever cried, but she was suddenly feeling overwhelmed.