xvii. the end of king steve

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐒𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧
𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐁𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐭𝐮𝐛
part one

𝐓𝐡𝐞𝐲 𝐦𝐚𝐝𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐢𝐫 𝐰𝐚𝐲 𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤 𝐭𝐨𝐰𝐚𝐫𝐝𝐬 𝐁𝐫𝐚𝐝𝐥𝐞𝐲'𝐬, the grocery store, with the exception of Nicole

𝐓𝐡𝐞𝐲 𝐦𝐚𝐝𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐢𝐫 𝐰𝐚𝐲 𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤 𝐭𝐨𝐰𝐚𝐫𝐝𝐬 𝐁𝐫𝐚𝐝𝐥𝐞𝐲'𝐬, the grocery store, with the exception of Nicole. The four of them seemed to have become divided over the fight since it had happened. Tommy and Carol were finding the situation hilarious, while the other two were less amused. Lily was more bothered over the bruising on Steve's face and the awful mood he was in to find anything amusing.

"Are you sure you're okay?" She asked Steve again.

Steve frowned, "I've said a million times already, I'm fine. Quit fussing over me, it's annoying".

"I'm only trying to help" Lily scoffed, "It's not my fault that Jonathan basically just beat the shit out of you-"

"Do you reckon the cops have arrested him? I sure hope so, it's what the freak deserves" Tommy said, scornfully.

"It's starting to swell, Steve" Lily continued, "I'm gonna go get you something cold to put over it-"

"Lily!" Steve groaned, "I said I'm fine. Leave me alone".

"But you're not fine. You look like complete ass" She said, defensively, "I'm gonna get you something to help".

With Carol by her side, Lily walked into the store, letting out a long sigh of relief once they were inside, "Holy shit, Steve's being a piece of work today".

"Yeah, cause he's had his ego deflated by Byers" Carol scoffed, then she lowered her voice as they passed the counter, "Woah, did you seen the cashier?" She mumbled, as they began to browse the aisles, "He was hot".

"Anyone would think you didn't have a boyfriend waiting outside" Lily laughed, peering over the top of the shelves to look at the cashier, who wasn't as hot as Carol had made him out to be, "He's alright, I guess" She shrugged.

"Just okay? Seriously? Nicole should have stayed with us, she'd have been much more enthusiastic than you" Carol frowned, "You really need to stop being so picky".

"I'm not picky" Lily retorted, "I'm just not interested in getting a boyfriend yet. It's too much effort".

"So, you're just gonna hook up with every guy in Hawkins for the rest of your life?" Carol joked.

"Sounds good to me" Lily grinned, reaching into one of the freezers to grab a can of Coke, "I bet this would help the swelling on Steve's face".

"I guess" Carol said, "But you need to stop fussing over him, it's his own fault he got his ass kicked".

"So, what? He looks like he's been mauled by a bear" Lily replied, leading Carol over to the counter, "Just this, please" She said to the cashier, then spotted the aspirin on display, "Oh, and these" She added, grabbing a pack.