xxxvi. dollar store roses

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐅𝐢𝐯𝐞
𝐃𝐢𝐠 𝐃𝐮𝐠
part two

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐭𝐨𝐰𝐧'𝐬 𝐟𝐥𝐨𝐫𝐢𝐬𝐭 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐬𝐦𝐚𝐥𝐥, but Lily and Steve had spent fifteen minutes browsing the small aisles

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐭𝐨𝐰𝐧'𝐬 𝐟𝐥𝐨𝐫𝐢𝐬𝐭 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐬𝐦𝐚𝐥𝐥, but Lily and Steve had spent fifteen minutes browsing the small aisles. Each time Lily thought Steve had found a bunch of flowers for Nancy, he'd change his mind and drag her back around the store. He'd picked up the same bunch of roses twice and his indecisiveness was starting to test her patience.

"Why don't you get her this?" Lily joked, holding up a small succulent. She was bored and looking for a way to entertain herself, "Who doesn't love a cactus?"

"Very funny" Steve grumbled, grabbing the plant from her hand and shoving it back onto the shelf, "I wanna get her flowers, not a cactus. Stop dicking around, it's annoying".

"Okay, what about this?" Lily smirked, this time holding up a large garden sign, that read Gone Fishing.

"Lily! I swear to god, if you don't shut up, I'm gonna make you stand outside!" He snapped, starting to lose his patience with her, "You're seriously not helping me at all".

"Sorry" She grinned, "And I know I sound like a broken record, but I still don't get why you're apologising" She said, for the second time since they'd entered the store.

"Because unlike you, I have the ability to do so".

Lily rolled her eyes, "That doesn't explain anything. I think you should just wait for her to do something. You've taken my advice before, why are you ignoring me now?"

"How else am I meant to make things right, though?" Steve frowned, grabbing a bunch of flowers, then putting them back, "I still love her, even if she doesn't love me".

"I still love her" Lily mocked, giving him an airy smile.

"That's not funny, Lily" Steve grumbled and he shoved her. He only pushed her lightly, but it caught her off guard and she stumbled backwards into a shelf full of plant food.

"Steve!" She gasped, grabbing his arm to steady herself.

"Shit, sorry" He said, pulling her away from the shelf.

"So you should be" She frowned, shoving him back.

"At least you caught yourself before you fell" He grinned, reaching over to ruffle her hair.

"Quit touching me" Lily protested, moving out of his reach, "First you send me flying into a shelf, and now you've messed up my hair" She grumbled, reaching up to smooth her hair back down, "Now who's annoying".

"That would still be you" Steve teased. Then he picked up the same bunch of roses he'd already looked at twice, "Okay, I'm gonna get these for Nance" He said, decisively.