xxxviii. garbage pets

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐒𝐢𝐱
𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐒𝐩𝐲
part two

𝐎𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐲 𝐰𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐚𝐛𝐬𝐨𝐥𝐮𝐭𝐞𝐥𝐲 𝐩𝐨𝐬𝐢𝐭𝐢𝐯𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 Dart had left the basement, the three of them made their way back up the steps, each as worried as the other

𝐎𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐲 𝐰𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐚𝐛𝐬𝐨𝐥𝐮𝐭𝐞𝐥𝐲 𝐩𝐨𝐬𝐢𝐭𝐢𝐯𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 Dart had left the basement, the three of them made their way back up the steps, each as worried as the other. Lily was now certain that Dart was from the Upside Down. The few doubts she'd had about Dustin's story before, had vanished. There was no way any creature from Hawkins could have smashed its way through a solid brick wall.

"So, your little garbage pet has escaped, and we've got no idea where it could have gone?" She frowned, reaching the top of the steps and looking back into the basement.

Dustin nodded slowly, "That would be correct".

"Well, we're screwed then" She sighed, "This things gonna be roaming around the town, like the demogorgon did last year, but eating cats rather than people" She began, but trailed off, once she realised what she'd just said, "Hang on a sec, when did you say you found this thing?"

"Um, Halloween" The younger teen answered.

"And didn't you say he was a baby demogorgon?" She continued, "Which means he's from the Upside Down, which means the gate could still be open somewhere".

"That's definitely a possibility-"

"I knew it!" Lily exclaimed, "The gate must still be open, and if it was open on Halloween, that must be where Cindy is! She went missing the day you found your pet".

"I think you're right, Lil" Steve nodded, solemnly.

"Cindy? Who the hell is Cindy" Dustin frowned.

"My friend, she went missing on Halloween" Lily said, "I haven't seen her since. She's not been at school all week, and when I went to check on her at her house, no one was in" She explained.

"Holy shit, did you not think to tell someone?"

"I tried. I've been trying to get a hold of Hopper, the Wheelers and the Byers for days now" She frowned, "But none of them ever seem to pick up their phones".

"Tell me about it" Dustin grumbled, "No one was answering my code red earlier, that's why I had to ask you two for help-"

Steve cleared his throat, "Lily and I were actually thinking of trying to break into the lab tonight".

"Oh, and I was planning on getting dinner with Phoebe Cates" Said Dustin, mockingly, "Are you guys crazy? There's no way you're gonna be able to get into the lab".

"It was our only plan" Steve retorted, begrudgingly.

"Well, your plan is bogus" Dustin replied, "If your friend-" He trailed off and turned to Lily, expectantly.