Secrets at Fathers House

Silas POV

We exited our cars and waited for Birch to get out, we knew how hard this would be for him and all of us needed to be there for him.

I look up at Birch's family house and almost wince at how unsafe and rundown it is. I can't imagine a scenario in which the state wouldn't tear down the house and resell the land to most likely a developer, I saw it had a lot of land around it and could almost see a little Birch and Iris playing in the garden.

 I can't imagine a scenario in which the state wouldn't tear down the house and resell the land to most likely a developer, I saw it had a lot of land around it and could almost see a little Birch and Iris playing in the garden

Birch's POV

A shiver went down my spine as I looked at the house of my nightmares. But I knew I needed the secret box that Iris and I hid under the floorboards in the hall closet. Mr. Silas and the boys think Iris is hidden in the house, but I didn't have the heart to tell them she's dead and never coming back.

I slowly walk up the uneven path to the front door, I could hear the wooden steps creak under my weight with a familiarity that brought back good and bad memories.

Good ones when Iris and I'd race to the forest to collect pretty flowers and other trinkets we'd find like a deer antler or an old tin can we'd use as target practice with old stones.

Or bad ones, like when I'd hear the deafening footfalls of my father angrily marching in the house only to beat me senseless, sometimes just for existing.

And I'd always try to picture mothers face, but nothing came to mind. Was she calming and comforting and warm or was she mean and cold like father?

These are the questions I'll never have answers to, heck I didn't even know her name at least.

I slowly opened the front door with Paisley by my side. Everyone wanted to come in with me, something to do with making sure I'm safe and how curious they were about my old living situation.

I walked into the house and could instantly feel a rush of emotions hit me like a freight train.

*start of flashback*

I feel the air rush past my cheek a moment before I feel the slap. Pain immediately rushes across my skin, I almost cry at the pain but I know that crying never gets me anything more than an even worse lesson from sir.

Seconds later, I feel my hair being pulled into a vice grip as I can smell sirs stinky beer and nicotine breath fanning across my cheeks as he says, "It should've been you, ya damn fairy! I never wanted you! Or yer sister! I shoulda left years ago, but—"

Sirs speech is cut off by a series of knocks on the door. He smirks at me and let's my hair go, I fall to the floor on my hands and knees.

He kneels down to my level and he growls at me, "You shoulda died instead of her! I'm gonna make you wish you were never born, boy!"

He gives me one swift kick in the rib cage, I almost groan in pain but I resisted. I knew it only lead to worse punishments from sir.

I knew I would have a night if not longer of never ending torture. I almost cried at that thought, but I knew fighting sir would only lead to more pain.

I deserve this I deserve this I deserve this I deserve this I deserve this I deserve this I deserve this

*end of flashback*

Jewel placed a comforting hand on my shoulder as Hades wrapped his large muscular arm around my waist in a side hug.

I knew from observing the boys that Hades had the worst time showing affection so this display of affection meant so much to me.

I tried to find comfort in their touch, but I was still feel the after effects of my flashback and Hades arm around my waist started to feel like a prison.

I had tears in my eyes as they both took a step back and Jewel said, "You don't have to be here, we can go wherever you want. All Sir needs to know is where your sister is."

I almost flinched when he said sir, I always hated that name, and now it only reminded me of father. But I calmed myself down by taking slow deep breaths to center myself.

I slowly nod at him and quietly walk to the hall closet. We never had a nice house, everything was either broken or dirty and most things were secondhand but it was ours. We always made the most of things; whether it was clothing, food, or even warmth in the winter months.

I could hear everyone else walking around the front entrance, watching me. I knew they would worry about me but my life here wasn't just traumatizing. It was pure and plain torture after Iris died. There are some things I can never forget or forgive father for...

I'm brought out of my thoughts by the sound of what Mr. Silas calls his phone. I personally had never seen something like this small magic box, but Malakai says something called a computer and tv are even more impressive.

All these new things and information are so overwhelming, but I'm looking forward to learning about them.

Mr. Silas quickly excuses himself and walks outside.

Now is my moment to get the box and then I'm planning on us heading to the cemetery that's in the forest. That's where I'm planning on telling them everything about Iris.