Nightmares are terrible, lets nap instead

Birch's POV

I gasp as I wake up from my nightmare, I close my eyes and try to even my ragged breaths from my fear induced nightmare about the first beating I got from father.

It was my catalyst moment, the moment that utterly changed my life for the worst. As I think on it, when the beatings were done, Iris usually appeared and dressed my wounds. But as I really reflect on those moments, I now understand that she could've helped me escape. We both could've, but we never got the courage to do so. But I now remember how Iris always told me the time wasn't right, and like a good brother, I listened to her. Now, I regret that decision wholeheartedly but I can't go back on my past decisions, I can only move forward.

I sigh as I look up at the ceiling in my bedroom in the institute. Everything is so nice and clean and so new here, it's unlike anything I've ever seen before.

Like the large black magic box's that Malakai said are called televisions or tvs and can virtually play anything. I start thinking about all of the things I don't know or understand and become overwhelmed about all the things I'll have to learn like all the technology and everyday things that are so normal and mundane for everyone else but so foreign and confusing to me.

I want to cry at how dirty and unworthy of all these fine clean things, my surroundings may be of this fine room, but in my mind I'm still in my fathers house, chained to the floor like an unruly dog.

As I sit up in my bed I wince at the wounds on my back and the deep ache in my ribs, I can feel how weak my body feels. I know I'm not healthy like the others, but I can't help it, I've lived a very difficult and abusive life that is hard for me to differentiate that from my reality now.

I almost shiver at the thought of eating, it made a deep ache of nausea go through my stomach.

I ate a day or so ago when I was in the kitchen before breakfast so I should be fine for awhile and I really can't deal with anymore of their staring.

I knew one of them got me from the forest, and probably brought me back here and I know Mr. Silas will interrogate me about it and I just couldn't handle it right now.

I looked over at the clock...

I groan as I roll out of bed and quickly slip on my slides from the hospital and quickly sneak into the hallway, I eventually make it to the back door and into the night

I sigh as I breathe in the cold nighttime air and look up at the stars. I always think of Iris when I see the stars, but now with my newfound clarity of the situation with her, I now know that she was complicit and was never really there to save me like I thought. And that thought alone is enough to break me into tiny minuscule pieces.

I take in a shuddering breath as I sit down underneath the cherry blossom tree and cry, not only for myself, but for the fact that I never had anyone to save me or even truly care about me.

I knew she loved me in her own way and I know I'll always love her for that but I can't help but question some of her motives.

Why did she never question father?

Why did she never talk back to him like I used to?

And why didn't she run away with me?

It hurts to think about all of this, it cuts me so deep it hurts but I need to start letting go of my past and focus on healing.

My breath catches in my chest as I feel warm heavy arms wrap lightly around my ribs that still have that darned brace on them.

I wanted to curse the doctor that fit me for them, especially when they told me that I'd have to be put in a child's size since I'm so tiny.

"Shhh, it's okay. We're here, we're never leaving you sweetie." I heard a deep voice whisper in my ear.

I was too far gone in my panic attack to know or care about who was holding and comforting me, I just needed the comfort and physical contact.

I could barely even feel myself being pulled into a hard muscular chest and being rocked soothingly.

After awhile my shaking and ragged breathing subsided and I finally felt like I could breathe again. I looked up into Hades face as he gave me a comforting smile, and at that moment I knew I'd eventually be okay, it may not be for awhile yet but I knew I was on my way to healing.