Swimming pools & popsicle mustaches

Birch's POV

Roman and I were running down the hallways, trying to hide from the big bad Hades.

Now, don't get me wrong... Hades is great when you do as your gold and don't touch his stuff.

I don't think I have to tell you Roman has been getting on his nerves all week, plus he may or may not of dyed all his white clothing pink in the washer.

It wasn't his fault! We didn't know you can't put a brand new red hoodie in with whites... plus I've never done laundry before, but the look in Roman's eye made me think he totally knew that Hades is gonna kill our butts!

Before I knew it, I felt one strong arm lifting me up. I could hear Roman whining as I got a kiss on my forehead from Hades.

Hades sat me down as he tried to control a struggling Roman, but one warning spank on his thigh instantly shut him up and made him stop squirming with an over exaggerated pout on his face.

It almost made me laugh when Roman yelled, "Save yourself my dear comrade! Think of—"

He got cut off by Hades covering his mouth with his hand, which Roman reacted by giving it a big lick. Hades immediately gave him a yuck face and muttered about how gross and unsanitary that was.

While Hades was distracted, Roman jumped out of his arms only to face plant on the floor, as I giggled and said, "So coordinated! Like a backwards ballerina!"

Roman gave me a halfhearted glare as he jumped onto his feet and said, "I'll take that as a compliment, thanks, shortcake! I find myself very coordinated!"

I glared at Roman and crossed my arms and said, "I'm not short! I'm completely average, thank you very much!"

Roman rolled his eyes and said with a pat on my head, "Whatever you tell yourself, mini-me."

Right when I was about to yell at Roman, Hades snorted and said, "Oh god, come off it Roman. Do you remember the time you were in such a hurry to get breakfast that you wrapped the sheets so tight around your ankles and ended up launching yourself in a forward roll into the bathroom where you face planted into the toilet bowl."

Roman rolled his eyes and said, "With grace!" He grabbed my arm and we started to run down to the kitchen, we had a mission to steal popsicles and do some swimming!

More like me sitting on the steps as the others swim seeing as I'm only allowed in the kids area. Curse me and my shortness! But you never know! I could still hit a growth spurt!

Roman got a orange popsicle as I got a grape one, I love the blue raspberry too but Malakai keeps eating all of those, and Roman said that Malakai used to live somewhere that was really hot and they never had things like popsicles so just let him eat whatever he wants.

I mean, I never did either but our circumstances were different.

All of us spent all day in the pool, Arundelle kept on pulling me out to put sunscreen on me since I have very sensitive skin that I can already feel is burning.

As I was cuddled with Arundelle, with him reading me poetry on a blanket with an umbrella and pillows, I could hear Roman yell from across the yard,"Cannonball!" With a big splash.

"Roman! I can't believe you just did that!"
"Now I'm all wet!"
"Isn't that the point of the pool?"
"That was sick! Again!"
"We need rules around the pool, man."

I could hear everyone talking at once, but it didn't bother me like before. Now it felt comforting, like arriving at home.

Those were my last thoughts as I fell asleep to hearing Roman running around like crazy, as Arundelle laughs at his antics.

Yeah, I feel like I've finally made it home.