Underneath the tree || H.H.

Pairing: Harry Holland x fem!reader

Warnings: little bit of angsty (with a happy ending, I promise)

~

You had been so excited for Christmas this year. You and Harry had decorated the entire house with Christmas decorations, all over Zoom, because he was away filming, but you still decorated together, nonetheless. You had enlisted Sam to help get a tree into your house and had planned on surprising Harry with a fully decorated tree and house when he got home. All the presents were wrapped and there were recipes printed and ready for baking on the counter.

That's when the bad weather hit. Harry had made it to New York before his flight to London was delayed.

Delayed, you told yourself, just delayed.

So you woke up, put on your fuzzy socks and began to bake all those Christmas cookies like you had planned. Eventually, Harry called you; it was unclear if you were keeping him company in the airport, or if he was keeping you company while you baked. It was so wonderful to hear his voice. He sounded kind of gravely, as if he was coming down with a cold, but it was still such a warming sound. Part of your heart broke to think about Harry's only time at home with a cold, but then your thoughts quickly turned back to the idea of him being home.

Harry had been filming for a few months at that point, but after so long of having him beside you every morning when you woke up and every night when you went to sleep, him being away for even a week felt strange. To say you missed him would be an understatement. You missed the way he smelled like cedar and sandalwood. You missed the colour of his curls in the morning light, and if you closed your eyes hard enough you could almost see the stark contrast between his shiny auburn hair and the white pillows. You missed feeling his muscles under his shirt as he held you tight in a hug.

But then shit really hit the fan. You should have known in the way Harry's voice was more apprehensive and tight than before. You could hear the bad news coming and yet you just didn't expect it.

"My flight was cancelled. I won't be home for Christmas."

You almost cried.

It just wasn't the same. Alone on Christmas day.

It was like your entire world was crumbling before your eyes. All of the decorations were for nothing. The cookies baking were for nothing. You would be totally alone on Christmas. To keep Harry's spirits up, you just told him that it would be okay.

"I'll see you when I see you," you told him, but really you were crushed. Tom told you that he'd ask Sam, Paddy and Tom to come visit you on Christmas, but you knew they wouldn't be able to. It was a two hour drive at least, without Christmas traffic.

Harry could hear the sadness in your voice, as much as you tried to cover it up from the way your voice wavered, only for a second, but he heard it. He could tell that being alone on Christmas was really weighing on you. While you were dreaming of Harry's eyes, he was dreaming of your face. He couldn't wait to be home to you either; it had only been a few months and you'd been separated for far longer before, but now he just couldn't stand being away from you.

He hated not waking up before you everyday and pretending to be asleep, so you thought that you woke him up, just because he knew you enjoyed waking him up with kisses. He hated that he could only see your hair through a screen, instead of running his fingers through your silky and soft hair.

And oh god did he miss you. He missed holding you tight as you cooked dinner and racing to the kitchen to get the other a dessert because currently you had 3 points on him, and frankly, you were just getting too cocky about it. He missed the way you'd crack a joke and slowly your whole face would break out into a smile. He missed the way your eyes would light up, but your face was confused, whenever he'd bring you flowers from the back yard.

Harry could not have you alone on Christmas, so he set out immediately to get home to you. All it took was taking a quick bus South and catching a red eye flight back to London. Harry also decided that this year they'd move Christmas, just two hours away from the normal place.

You awoke with a start, rather a wet, slobbery start... Tessa was on top of you licking your face incessantly. It was a very pleasant surprise and only slowly dawned on you that if Tessa was with you, then Tom, Sam and Paddy had to be too. Quickly you checked for yourself, only to be surprised by not just your boyfriends brothers, but the whole family.

It may not have been Harry, but his family showed up for you, and that was more than enough for you. It was so heart warming knowing that his family had accepted you into theirs. As you began to hug everyone, you noticed that they were all standing in front of the Christmas tree and refusing to move, but Dom and Nikki parted, and your eyes connected with the warm brown eyes you had grown to love so much.

"Harry!" You ran over to him and he scooped you up in his arms, spinning you around. Part of you just couldn't believe that he was actually with you. Your mind raced with questions as to how he actually got back across the pond, but the other part of your brain couldn't care less how he got there. You were just happy that he was back with you.

As you settled into Harry's side, face wide and eyes bright with a smile, you realized just how much you loved that boy and wanted to spend the rest of your life with. And as he looked around at his family laughing and teasing, he confirmed his suspension that you were the one for him.

You're all that I need, underneath the tree.