Chapter 36

Nova starts humming 'Invincible' by Pat Benatar as she gathers up the pillows and extra blankets for Eddie when she suddenly realized what she had done. She froze in her spot as she began to blush brightly. She had just kissed Eddie's cheek... in front of Max and Dustin. And Orchid, but that part didn't bother her. But why did it bother her to kiss him in front of those two? She knew Max wasn't ready for her to move on from Billy just yet and Dustin... well, he'd blab to Steve but... Steve was bound to find out eventually anyways. Maybe she should talk to Billy, ask him if its ok to move on. I mean, it wouldn't hurt, would it?

Nova was interrupted from her thoughts by a tap on her shoulder and yelped slightly as she turned around to face a startled Eddie, "You ok there, princess?" Nova sighed out, "Yes, just startled out of my thoughts is all." She held out some pillows, "Take these and I'll take up blankets. There's a small heater up there but it's mostly just really cold so you'll probably want a few warm blankets." Eddie smiled and nodded, "Thanks Nova. For, ya know, everything." Nova smiled warmly, "Of course Eddie. Now, here ya go." Eddie takes the pillows and Nova grabs a thick comforter and a blanket or two and carefully carries them upstairs with Eddie close behind her.

Nova places the covers to the side of the room for a second while she pulls out the mattress part of the couch for Eddie. "There we go! Sorry if the mattress is a bit lumpy, it was cheap." Eddie laughed, "It's ok princess. I'm pretty sure my mattress at my trailer is about the same." He places the pillows on the mattress as Nova retrieves the covers for him. Together, they make the bed and step back to admire their work.

 Together, they make the bed and step back to admire their work

{It's hard to find a picture of just a made-up pull-out couch}

"Perfect! All warm and cozy for ya, Eddie!" Eddie grinned, "It actually looks comfier than my bed at home." Nova grinned, "Then try it out." Eddie's grin got wider as he leapt onto the bed and groaned in comfort. Nova laughed, "Well, that was dramatic! Is it really that comfy?" Eddie reaches his hand out to her, "Join me and find out." Nova giggles and takes Eddie's hand before she squeals as he pulls/drags her onto the bed with him. They both laugh as they laid on the pull-out bed together. Eddie suddenly pushed some of Nova's hair out of her face. "You're so beautiful when you smile." Nova blushed brightly, "Eddie..." He continued, "I mean it. I remember seeing you sitting on my picnic table in the woods, your hair blowing softly in the light wind, the sunlight making a slight halo around you." He sighs, "That... that was the moment that I knew that I loved you." 

Nova looked into Eddie's eyes and smiled warmly yet sadly, "Oh Eddie..." Eddie shook his head. "You were happy with Billy. I could see it. I wasn't going to ruin your happiness because your happiness was mine. I was there, ya know, at his funeral. I was in the very back near the tree line. I wanted to be there for you, but I was too much of a coward to get any closer than that. I'm so sorry." Nova frowned and snuggled into Eddie's chest as he wrapped his arms around her. She cried softly as he held her and Eddie let her, soothing her with light kisses on the top of her head. They eventually fell asleep like that and were found by Orchid, who smiled and closed the attic door to let them sleep.

~Timeskip

Dustin had gone home after an hour, and it was just Orchid and Max downstairs. Max was frowning, trying to process that her sister was moving on, but it just didn't feel real to her. Orchid saw the conflict on Max's face and sat down next to the girl, "What's wrong?" Max looked up at Orchid, "I just... I know she needs to move on, Billy told her, us, to be happy but... If she does, would that mean she'd move on from me too?" Orchid looked at Max in shock, "Of course not! Nova loves you so much! You're her little sister, her family. She would NEVER leave you Max." Max nodded but started crying, "I don't wanna lose her too." Orchid brought Max in for a hug, "And you won't, ever."

Just as Max had calmed down, Steve unlocked and walked through the front door. Steve looked at the couch where his girlfriend was comforting Max, "Ok, what happened?" Max sniffled and Orchid smiled, "It's ok now, Stevie. Right Max?" Max smiled softly and nodded, "Yeah. I'll go wake up Nova and let her know that Steve is home." Orchid nods as Max ran off as Steve just looks confused as ever.