o. ours

O. OURS

"you called, juliet?" john b crawled through briar's open window

briar sat up from her bed where she was reading. she hugged john b and planted a kiss on his lips while he finished crawling through the window.

"hello, my romeo," briar giggled as john b struggled to gain his footing.

"god, i missed you, briar," john b inhaled as he pulled the girl for another hug. she smelled like salt water and chanel perfume.

"missed you too, pretty boy," briar ran her hands through his hair. "john b?"

he hummed from above her, his head resting atop hers. "yeah, beautiful?" he tilted briar's chin up, planting a gentle kiss on her glossy lips.

"i need to tell you something," briar said slowly.

"sure thing, what's up?"

briar pulled away slowly. "hold on a second."

john b watched his girlfriend walk to her bathroom. he heard some drawers open and close. he saw briar wipe her face as she came back into the room.

"so," john b started. briar quickly cut him by shoving something into his hands. she raced and sat down on the little fuzzy bench at the end of the bed.

john b looked at briar. her knees were pulled into her chest. she was doing those deep breaths when she was trying not to cry. he looked in his hands.

his heart stopped. in his hands was a pregnancy test. a pink one, just like he'd seen on tv and in kie's hands during her pregnancy scare last year. it was positive.

briar was pregnant. there was a baby in briar. it was his. he had a baby. with briar. briar the city council man's daughter. woah.

"briar, is this for real?" john b looked at her. the tearful nod telling him all he needed to know. "bri, why are you crying, beautiful?"

"because," briar wailed suddenly. "i'm sixteen and i'm having a baby and i've never felt so alone! i'm losing my mind and i'm so so scared, john b."

"bri, bri," john b kneeled down in front of the girl. "briar rose valentine. you are not alone. you're never going to be alone. we've got this. i'm scared too, bri, but we can do this, okay? together."

"okay," she said shakily. "you're taking this alarmingly well."

"well," john b began. "i mean it's not planned but what the hell! we can do it, briar. it's us. we can do anything."