xxv. i'm trying to give you freedom

XXV. I'M TRYING TO GIVE YOU FREEDOM

"what the fuck, briar?" chase valentine slammed his hand into the granite counter top

"chase," cecelia snapped. "let's watch our language."

"no! goddamn it, cecelia!" chase yelled. "we have lost control of our family!"

"dad, please," briar begged.

"briar!"

"what, dad?" briar yelled. "what the fuck do you want me to say? that i'm sorry? i'm not! if i did it all over again, i'd do it the same way, okay?"

"no, no it's not okay!" chase yelled back. "you are my daughter! and i have tried, so damn hard to accept this baby. and to accept this boyfriend. and accept the fact that you've ruined your fucking life! but i can't!"

"chase," cece warned. "she is a kid. stop yelling at her like she's an adult."

"no, no, cece. if she wants to go fuck around with pogues, she can! if she wants to get herself killed? she can! if she wants to throw away her whole future for a boy? she fucking can, cecelia! if she's making these adult choices and thinking she can go around acting like an adult, then let's treat her like one!"

"i am not your enemy here, chase valentine," cece stepped close to her husband. "don't you dare yell at me like that."

"i have tried," chase stepped closer to his daughter. "i'm trying to give you freedom! i'm trying to let you live your life while you can! i'm trying to love you despite it all! but you make it so hard, briar."

"i'm hard to love, is that what we're saying now?" briar scoffed.

"can i be honest here?" chase valentine's southern accent came out when he got angry. "yes! you are, baby, you are! i want you to have a life, but this boy and this baby cannot be the center of it!"

"this baby is in my fucking body so nice try there!" briar yelled pointing to her bump. "i have relentlessly tried to make you proud of me. relentlessly. i have spent days and nights slaving over school work and slaving over politics and trying to be your perfect daughter!"

"perfect?" chase scoffed. "couldn't be farther from it."

"that!" briar cried. "that, right there, is what i mean! the one time in my life, i decided to have some fun with a boy i liked, yes, i made a mistake. but that mistake has brought me further in my life than i could've ever imagined. this boy. this baby. this is who i am now. and you can spend the rest of your life trying to change it, but i don't think you could."

"i want you to put the baby up for adoption."

"chase," cecelia gasped. "you don't mean that."

"maybe i don't, cecelia," chase shrugged. "but if that brought my daughter back, the daughter who cared about herself and her future? well, i'd take it, any day of the week."

"i have grown!" briar yelled. "i am becoming my own person! what the fuck is wrong with that?"

"you are losing who we raised you to be!"

"a rich entitled asswipe?" briar scoffed. "because that's what you are."

"briar," cece warned. "don't talk to your father like that."

"go to your room," chase said sternly.

"my fucking pleasure," briar slammed the kitchen door on her way up.

"i heard yelling, you okay?" holly was heading downstairs as her sister went up.

"oh, shut up, witch bitch," briar bumped holly with her shoulder angrily.

"what are you mad at me for?" holly yelled back upstairs.

"fuck this family!" briar called as she slammed her bedroom door.

she wasn't sad, not now at least. she was just really, really angry.

"briar?" cecelia cracked the door.

"you didn't even defend me," briar sniffed. "you left me to fend for myself."

"honey," cecelia sat on her daughter's bed. "he's not completely wrong."

"oh, great," briar scoff-sobbed. "you too."

"no, hon," cecelia shook her head. "we are not against you. but this is getting out of hand."

"john b didn't kill anyone!" briar stood up. "rafe did!"

cecelia's mouth fell open in shock.

"sarah was there! rafe shot peterkin because he's crazy! he thought he was protecting ward, and he shot peterkin! i don't care that he's my cousin, he's a killer."

"oh, my god," cecelia whispered. "rafe killed a woman."

"he did," briar cried. "and he's framing my boyfriend for it."

"we've gotta find john b," cecelia said. "we've gotta find my brother. we've gotta put rafe in jail."

🃏

"ward!" cecelia cameron valentine boomed as her daughter followed her into tannyhill.

"hey, cece," ward jogged down the stairs. "what brings you by?"

"your son killing a woman and you framing my grandchild's father for it is what brings me by, goddamnit ward!"

"woah, woah, woah, cece," ward backed away from his sister. "cece, what? john b killed peterkin, you know that."

"i know that boy, ward," cece shook her head. "and i know your boy, ward. rafe is a murderer."

"watch your mouth in this house," ward stepped closer to his sister. "i used to hit you, and i'll do it again."

"you better watch it around my mother," briar stepped in. "you've ruined my life and i'm not afraid to ruin yours."

"get out," ward spit.

"go fuck yourself."

SADIE SPEAKS!
word count: 888
briar is going through
it rn y'all

SADIE SPEAKS!word count: 888briar is going through it rn y'all