xxxii. this is ruining you

XXXII. THIS IS RUINING YOU

"this is the north drain," jj said as the kids walked towards the marsh

"this is the north drain," jj said as the kids walked towards the marsh. "it should've gotten washed into the gully. so, if it got flushed out from this drain, it would've been pushed out to, like. . ."

"somewhere in this trash," pope answered.

"correct," jj nodded.

"that's the smartest thing i've ever heard you say," holly said with a laugh. the younger valentine had rejoined the group to keep an eye on her sister after the stitches incident.

"oh my god," kie sighed. "people who use plastic should be shot."

"okay, personally, i love plastic," jj interrupted. "use it every day. love the stuff."

"hopefully, you recycle it and don't let it flush into the ocean," kie snapped.

"i thought you'd say something like that," pope said. briar looked at her sister and rolled her eyes. "so. . . trash bags."

"did you just proactively protect the environment?" kie said, blushing.

"maybe," pope said awkwardly.

"you want me to leave you two alone, or what's going on?" jj said, sort of mumbling.

"seriously," briar clapped her hands and stepped into the water with the boys. "to work, please."

pope threw the trash bags at her and jj. "watch it," briar laughed. "wouldn't want trash bags in the ocean."

"just pick up the trash," pope snapped.

🃏

"well, that was fun," jj huffed as he tossed another trash bag to briar.

"if it's not in the trash, then it's gotta be in the storm drain," pope concluded.

"it's in. . . it's in the drain," jj panted.

"this is a death trap," briar sighed before stepping back down to join her friends in the water. "i guarantee it."

"calm down," holly gave her sister a shove.

as hard as the pogues tried to ignore it, briar's eyebrow drew their attention back. the stitches were thin, well done for a midnight urgent care, but it was the bandage. briar had put a dora the explorer band-aid over her stitches to prevent them from getting gunk on them. and the bruising. the whole area around her eye was purple and yellow and despite her smile, you could tell when her eyes widened that it hurt her.

"damn it," pope snapped.

"of course it is," kie sighed.

"good thing i brought the crow," jj reached for his bag.

"so, are we gonna do, like, rock, paper scissors?" kie said slowly.

"no," jj interrupted.

"or alphabetically?" kie continued.