iv. big ole treasure hunt

IV. BIG OLE TREASURE HUNT

"bam! bam! bam!" jj yelled

the pogues and briar were sitting outside the chateau. briar was standing up, leaning into john b's side, hand absentmindedly on her tiny baby bump.

"i can't believe you two," briar huffed. "you could've died!"

"we didn't mean too," john b said defensively. "we just wanted to talk to mrs. lana. but then they had her first."

"knocking the paint off the wall, g! from the inside," jj told stories rather animatedly. "alright? and i'm just looking at him, like— wait. first off, look at this shit. look at it!"

"ah," pope jumped back from jj shaking his hair over his lap.

"that's dandruff," kie's face twisted in disgust. "that's disgusting."

"okay, thank you," pope pushed his friend away.

"look at all that. all right?" jj was still half-yelling despite their silent surroundings. "that's paint. at that point, i was just, like. . . i'm waiting for death."

"oh, okay," pope shook his head. "so you saw the guys that shot at us, right?" briar shivered at the memory. jj nodded, humming an answer. "did you get a good description of them?"

"i can get my dad to run it in the paper tomorrow," briar said quickly. she'd felt useless forever, she just wanted to help. "they love to run city council stuff. what did they look like?"

"anything," pope supplied. "anything we can bring to a police report? or get mr. valentine to run in the paper?"

"yeah," kie encouraged.

"burly," jj blurted. briar's jaw dropped open in annoyance.

"burly?" pope and briar blurted simultaneously.

"uh, yeah," jj said. "you know, like."

"that's not very helpful," kie said shortly.

"okay, well, no, like the type of guy at my dad's garage. i mean, you guys know he made cargo hides for drug smugglers."

"yeah, yes. no, we know," kie said.

"i didn't," briar gapped. "the fuck is going on here?" the girl was rubbing her bump protectively.

"i can tell you with full confidence," jj continued despite kie's interruptions. "these boys, these killers. . . they're square groupers." jj exhaled on his blunt softly. briar scrunching her nose at the smell.