xxxiv. i'm in a getaway car

XXXIV. I'M IN A GETAWAY CAR

"they're fancy people," kie continued her limbrey research

"they're fancy people," kie continued her limbrey research. "they've had three governors in the family. they've run charleston for, like, 300 years."

"these kooks make our kooks look like pogues," jj added. the teens pulled up outside a fancy three story home. "you sure this is the place, pope?"

"pretty sure," pope said, voice shaky.

"let's do it," briar nudged jj to open the door.

"fat city, for sure," jj said as he trailed kie and briar to the gate.

"twenty-seven king street," pope confirmed.

"talk about home security," jj looked up at the gate. "are those spikes to keep people out?"

"no," kie said sadly.

"the slave quarters are over there," pope pointed. he sighed. "these spikes were to keep people in."

briar shuddered as pope slammed the lion knocker down.

"you think that was too much?" he asked.

"maybe, a bit," briar leaned onto jj's shoulder.

"it echoed the entire house," jj shrugged. "that's for sure. so they definitely heard it."

"maybe nobody's home," kie said, a little frightened. pope reached up to slam the knocker again, which he did, twice, before someone opened the door.

briar squeaked and jumped onto jj's foot by accident. the blonde boy grunted and helped briar catch her balance.

"you must be pope," said the man who'd answered the door. he looked creepy and briar stepped back under his gaze.

"um. . ." pope shifted. "are you mr. limbrey?"

"ms. limbrey was expecting you yesterday," the man stressed.

"oh. i'm. . . i'm sorry," pope apologized. "my car broke down on the way up here."

"carburetor blew up in the middle of nowheresville," jj confirmed. "sorry about that."

"yeah, she was, uh, real upset when you didn't show up," the man continued.

"we tried to call," kie offered. "but there's no number on the invitation. we got here as fast as we could."

"she also expected you to come alone," the man snapped.

"i mean, these are my friends. they helped find the royal merchant too. i. . ."

"the instructions were explicit," the man cut pope off. "your friends can stay outside."

"we're kind of a package deal, man," jj cut in.

"this is just as important to us," briar held her bump protectively. "to all of us."

"jj. briar. it's okay," pope assured. "i got this. i'll be good."