xxxix. my briar rose

XXXIX. MY BRIAR ROSE

"that's a lot of wax on your board

"that's a lot of wax on your board. put too much wax, it's gonna be slippery," pope said to jj.

"i hate surfing," holly mumbled from where she sat in her dirty church dress next to briar. it was a sunday morning and the pogues were sitting in the chateau's yard.

briar had on a pink dress, which had at one point been perfectly appropriate for church, but due to her growing bump and breasts, required a white cardigan over top.

"shut the fuck up, holly," jj cut in. "are you telling me how to wax my board?"

"just saying that's a lot of wax," pope shrugged.

"you're telling me how to wax my board. you kidding?" jj snapped.

"that's a colossal waste of wax," pope defended himself.

"shut up!" briar snapped from where her head lay against kie's knee.

"guys, really?" kie sighed.

the pogues' heads snapped up at the sound of a car horn. "did you hear that?"

briar used the arm of kie's chair to pull herself to a standing position.

and there, pulling up the drive, was john booker routledge.

"are you serious?" kie gasped.

"hold on. am i dreaming?" jj asked aloud.

"no!" pope yelled.

"you better not be screwing with me!" briar shrieked.

"holy shit, he lives," holly chuckled.

"guess who's out of the clink, boy!" john b climbed out of the cab.

"no freaking way, man!" pope said excitedly. pope and jj ran to embrace him first. kie tightly hugged him after.

"now, there she is!" john b scooped briar up, pulling her heels off the ground. "my briar rose!" john b planted kisses all over his girlfriend's face, her lashes, her cheeks, her earrings.

"okay, love birds," jj pushed john b's shoulder. "how'd you do it? you bust out?"

"uh, they dropped the charges," john b said. briar was tucked under his arm. a place that she'd missed for far too long.

"they dropped the charges," pope said in shock.

"that's phenomenal!" kie said excitedly.

"you're telling me i did all that work for nothing?" jj chuckled.

"oh, the most elaborate escape plan of all time?" pope shook his head at jj.

"'foolproof'," kie said with air quotes.