xxxiii. i hate car guys

XXXIII. I HATE CAR GUYS

"is this a game of tag?" jj said as the pogues jogged into the library

"is this a game of tag?" jj said as the pogues jogged into the library. pope had just received a letter with a wheat symbol on it. gold.

"i don't know," kie snapped back.

"am i gonna have to beat you with your protractor?" jj raised his voice at pope. "what's going on?"

"seriously," briar rolled her eyes. "please share with the class."

"okay, so that guy was from the scholarship committee. take a look at this," he held a letter to jj. "read it."

"out loud," kie added.

"i can't read cursive," jj whispered.

"oh, shush," briar snatched it. "give it."

jj handed the letter to kie and the group all looked anxiously to the carrera girl.

dear mr. heyward,

i am reaching out because i have material evidence that can exonerate john b. routledge. it is of vital importance that you come and meet with me in person at my offices at 27 king street, charleston at 8:00 p.m. sharp to tonight. please come alone.

regards,
c. limbrey

"that's creepy as fuck," briar broke the silence.

"charleston?" jj said in shock.

"i know," pope sighed. "it's like an eight-hour drive plus the ferry. how will we get there tonight?"

"we'd have to leave right now," jj said.

"i have a free period," kie said.

"i have ceramics, i can skip," briar agreed.

"material evidence?" jj repeated. "what does that even mean, material evidence?"

"it means he can clear john b," kie said harshly.

"which is our top priority right now," briar nodded.

"oh, shit," jj raised his voice. "then we're going to charleston."

"i gotta tell me mom," kie sighed. "look, if we get it this time, we are not giving it to shoupe."

"yeah. no duh," jj agreed. pope quickly searched something up online. he sighed loudly.

"what?" kie asked.

"i'm not sure," pope sighed. "but i think whoever this limbrey person is, they might be related to the captain of the royal merchant."

"holy shit."

🃏

"they're taking it really well," jj remarked from the passenger's side. briar was stuck between him and pope, kie on pope's side when she got back in.