xxxi. shawn mendes always helps

XXXI. SHAWN MENDES ALWAYS HELPS

"look, it was right here," kie explained to shoupe

"look, it was right here," kie explained to shoupe. "and this is where that maniac claimed his next victim."

"uh-huh," shoupe said skeptically. he looked at briar, her ripped shirt, wet hair, and bleeding brow bone. "right. his next victim?"

"yeah," kie nodded.

"right," shoupe continued. "how long ago did you say it happened?"

"forty-five minutes ago, shoupe," jj said from where he crouched on the floor.

"okay," shoupe said slowly. "and so, ward cameron just popped one off and shot him."

"yes," kie said, tears still filling her eyes.

"execution style?" shoupe said sarcastically. "and then cleaned it all up in 45 minutes?"

"yeah," briar said.

"obviously," pope nodded.

"we filmed the entire thing," kie added hastily.

"you filmed it?" shoupe said in shock.

"yes, but we can't show it to you because i stepped on jj's hand, and then he kicked pope, and then pope kicked briar, but he dropped the camera, and it broke," kie said in a hurry.

"this is a telephoto," pope explained himself. "and we needed to get a long-distance image, and. . . and. . . and i fell, and it broke, so the video is basically unusable. but. . . but we were there, and we're with. . ."

"so the dog ate your homework?" shoupe said sarcastically.

"no, shoupe," kie rolled her eyes. "i know it sounds. . ."

"look, i don't know what you kids expect me to do with this," shoupe raised his voice. "you drag me out here in the middle of the night for a whole lot of nothing."

"this isn't nothing!" briar yelled, throwing her hands up. shoupe winced looking at the still-bleeding cut on the pregnant teen's brow. it seemed like not long ago she'd been jet-skiing with his own daughter, and now here they were.

"except for some crazy stories about how ward cameron's out on a random killing spree," shoupe said, exhausted.

"we're not making this up!" jj yelled.

"it's not a random killing spree!" pope added. "gavin was his pilot! okay, he was paying him hush money because he was on the tarmac that day."

"gavin was blackmailing ward because he had the gun rafe used to kill peterkin," kie explained.

"and then he called him here and tried to pay him off," jj added.

"but it wasn't enough, and then so be shot him," briar finished. "with the murder weapon!"