vi. live wire

VI. LIVE WIRE

"what happened?" briar chased john b down the dock

"what happened?" briar chased john b down the dock. "what'd he say? i'll go after him if you need me too."

"no! briar, god, just leave me be!" john b turned and snapped at his girlfriend.

john b had just gotten done talking to ward cameron, briar's uncle, and it didn't seem good. briar assumed he may have gotten fired or something. maybe ward was upset that his employee had gotten his niece pregnant, although if you were to be technical, he'd gotten briar pregnant before working for ward. whatever had happened, john b was pissed.

"hey, john b," briar looked up to see her cousin walking down the dock bag in hand. "hey, briar."

john b continued to walk angrily. briar sent sarah an apologetic wave and chased after him.

the cousins hadn't quite made up yet, but they were on their way.

"i— i'm sorry, that's it?" sarah turned around, obviously annoyed.

"sarah, just leave him, it's not a good time," briar begged her cousin.

"no, briar," sarah said. "not a, 'hey, how you doin'?' or 'kiss my ass'?"

"your secret's safe with me?" john b said, quoting sarah.

"what secret are- - oh, that secret."

"i just got fired because of you. and i know you can't imagine that, but some people need jobs so that they can eat," john b slapped the bag from sarah's hand.

"what the fuck?" sarah blurted.

"you are exactly who i thought you were, sarah cameron," john b spit.

john b walked quickly, briar running after him.

"i'm sorry she did that to you," briar said when he finally slowed down as they entered the cut. "she betrayed me too, and it hurts."

"did she make you lose your job, briar?" john b snapped. "did she take the food off your table? did she take away the only source of income you had to raise your baby?"

"no, but," briar began.

"didn't fucking think so."

briar knew this wasn't him. he was fuming and upset, and she'd let him be, but she wasn't leaving him.

she walked a few paces behind him, humming "illicit affairs" by taylor swift under her breath.

a nice black chevy truck pulled up beside them, briar didn't think much of it. until the window rolled down and there were the men that just kept trying to kill them.

briar gasped at the cock of a gun. "time's up, boy."

john b made eye contact with briar, saying a thousand things without saying anything at all. he nodded slightly, and briar took off. john b raced after her.