ii. stop pretending

II. STOP PRETENDING

briar sat up with a gasp

briar sat up with a gasp. she looked around trying to figure out where she was.

she was still in her dress, although it was terribly stained. her sandals had made their exit sometime between the beach and the chateau. she was lying in john b's bed, next to him.

she reached up to touch her nose, wincing when it throbbed. that'd take a while to heal. she heard footsteps and looked up.

john b woke with a start when sheriff peterkin entered the room.

"good morning, briar," the older woman nodded.

"good morning, sheriff," briar shifted awkwardly.

"get decent, sweetie," the sheriff looked to john b. "we need to talk."

peterkin left, presumably to wait for john b downstairs.

"shit!" john b punched mattress.

"it's okay," briar rubbed john b's back. "we'll figure it out together."

peterkin was talking sternly to john b. briar sat awkwardly on the couch, unsure of what to do with herself.

"and i heard," peterkin continued. "there was a fight on the beach yesterday, and a gun was involved."

briar paled at that. they were definitely screwed.

"now, that wouldn't happen to be why miss valentine looks like she just left a crime scene, would it? and i also heard that somebody told detective shoupe that you two have been fooling around and someone screwed up real bad and you all are gonna have a baby. that doesn't look too good, does it?"

"sheriff," briar stood up to explain.

"sit down, briar. i'm talking to john b."

briar quickly fell back onto the couch.

"okay. pregnancy? yeah. gun? no. did i get in a dustup? yes, as did briar. but was there a gun? no. no way."

briar scoffed at john b's defense. he wasn't doing a very good job.

"that's okay. i know who it was. i'll get to him," sheriff peterkin replied.

briar paled, thinking of jj getting in trouble.

"all i'm worried about right now is making sure you're in a safe home," sheriff continued.

"yeah," john b scoffed. "super safe. super sound, sturdy. you know? and uncle t's coming back, so. . ."

"that's what he told you?" peterkin asked skeptically. briar busied herself folding the blankets in the living room.

"yeah," john b said, as though it was obvious.

"if he is coming, i think you should be allowed to stay."

briar eyebrows furrowed at that. john b was walking into a trap.