xii. ye olde college town

XII. YE OLDE COLLEGE TOWN

"thank you," sarah said as the trio climbed out of their uber

briar pulled her tote bag higher on her shoulder and grasped john b's hand.

"so, the library's on the other side of the student center. have you ever been here before?" sarah asked.

"i've never been to a college, no," john b replied.

"holly used to call it ye olde college town because she thought it sounded fancy," briar smiled at the memory.

"yeah, never having been to ye olde college town is a gap in your training," sarah said. "how do you like it?"

"so far, so good," john b said while he looked around.

"so, my dad went here. and then his dad went here, and then his dad's dad went here. and then uncle chase went here and met my dad and my dad brought him home to aunt cece," sarah gave some background on the cameron-valentines.

"that's pretty rough," john b said sarcastically.

"i know," sarah continued. "he'd have an absolute aneurysm if i didn't go here, which is kind of annoying, but what can you do?" sarah just kept talking.

briar was thinking about college. cecelia and chase didn't much care where she went, chase loved his alma mater just as cece loved hers at the university of georgia. they just wanted briar happy. but now she wasn't even sure she was going to college and that was a lot of feelings to wrestle with.

"college has never really been on my radar," john b responded to sarah. sarah's phone rang from her bag.

"uh-oh," sarah turned the phone. "it's my handler." ward's contact came up on the screen. "i told him i was spending the night at scarlett's."

"and what would he think if he knew his daughter and his niece were with the pogue that got his niece pregnant?" john b chuckled.

"i'd be hanged, for treason," sarah said as she continued her walk.

john b gasped. "as a pogue sympathizer?" sarah nodded in response. "oh, my goodness." john b put his hand to his ear in the gesture of a phone.

"you've gotta be careful fraternizing with the enemy, valerie. wait a minute. did he kidnap you? or drug you?" john b continued.

"no," sarah said in her french accent. "no, i came of my own recognizance, following a lead."

"do you know this enemy?" briar gasped in her best italian accent.