vii. bird

VII. BIRD

"that bread had mold on it three days ago," pope remarked as jj made a sandwich back at the chateau

"i'll just pull off the bad parts," jj shrugged. "plus, mold is good for you. it's just a natural organism."

"that's just not correct," briar sighed as her and kie stood behind john b.

"yeah, yeah, yeah," jj said coming over to them. "hot damn! let's do it."

the pogues and briar all held their breath as john b ripped open the fedex envelope. briar groaned when jj gagged at the moldy bread.

john b unfolded the large piece of paper within, and found a map. with exact coordinates.

"oh. x marks the spot," pope pointed.

"longitude, latitude," john b traced the page. "wait, there's something else in there."

"what's that?" jj asked as john b pulled a tape recorder from the bag.

"it's a tape recorder," briar supplied.

"dumbass," kie shook her head.

john b hit play.

dear bird,

"who's bird?" jj interrupted.

"that's what my dad called me."

"this is incredible," briar smiled.

i hate to say, "i told you so," but i told you so. and you doubted your old man. i suspect at this moment, you're filled with guilt and self-loathing over our last fight, but don't kill yourself just yet, kid. i didn't expect to find the merchant either. you were probably right to call me out. wasn't exactly father of the decade. what can i say, kid? i could smell the barn. and hopefully, we're listening to this in our brand new sugar-shack down in costa rica, living off passive investments and pulling on permits. if not, and you find this for less than optimal reasons, well, that's what the map is for. there she is, the wreck of the merchant. if something happens to me, finish what i started. go for the gold, kid. i love you, bird, even if i didn't always act like it. i'll see you on the other side. and p.s. i've seen you with that kook girl, chase's girl, be good to her. you've got a good one.

"oh," briar gasped quietly. john b stood up, the rest of the pogues staying still in shock.

"holy shit, he did it!" jj yelled. "big john- - he found the merchant!"

"can you. . . can you please?" kie looked at jj as briar went to john b's side.

the boy was sobbing against the door frame. grief and pride and loneliness racking him all at once.

briar wrapped her arms around her boyfriend, everything she needed to say. she was there, always would be. and she held him close and tight.

🃏