v. lemonade

V. LEMONADE

"i'm so sorry we're late," briar burst into the gynecologist's office

the receptionist looked up with a confused smile at briar and her boyfriend. "no worries, who are we here to see today?"

"dr. bradshaw," briar panted. jj didn't want to pay for parking so they'd run up the block.

"alrighty, alrighty," the receptionist hummed, typing loudly. "name?"

"briar valentine."

"perfect," the reception hummed. "looks like our first pregnancy appointment." briar nodded. "fill these out for me and we'll have you back shortly."

briar took the pink clipboard from the lady and dragged john b to two seats in the waiting area.

"you look like you're gonna pass out," briar commented as she wrote her name nearly across the top of the form. "would you get my wallet out of my purse?"

john b gulped as he handed briar her wallet so she could get her health insurance information. "i hate it here."

"is it because you're surrounded by hormonal pregnant women?" briar chuckled. "oh gosh, when do you think we conceived?"

john b choked. "briar," he coughed. "i, uh, i, shit."

"calm down, i'll just guess," briar patted john b on the back. she signed the forms at the bottom and handed them back to the lady.

briar's phone buzzed in her purse while she handed her forms in. john b reached down and picked it up.

mama 🥤🥤

"bri! your mom is calling," john b yelled to his girlfriend across the waiting room.

"pick it up," briar called back as she talked to the receptionist. "tell her i'll be there in a second."

"hello, mrs. valentine," john b said as she picked up. "it's john b."

"oh, hello, john b, dear," cecelia said from the other end of the line. "where's briar?"

"we're in the waiting room, now," he replied. "she's turning the clipboard in. she says she'll be here in a second."

"splendid. how are you dear?"

"can i be honest, mrs. valentine?" john b said.

"i'd expect nothing less," she replied.

"i'm scared out of my mind. what if i suck at this?" he whispered, watching briar glow while she talked to the receptionist.

"oh, honey. you could never suck at this," cecelia's tone was soft. "chase was scared too, when briar was coming along, but if your heart's in the right place you can't go wrong. and you, john b, have a very good heart."