xxviii. just take it slow

XXVIII. JUST TAKE IT SLOW

"to john b," jj held up a toast as they all stared at the routledge boy's monument

2003-2020
john b routledge
⚡️P4L ⚡️

"and sarah," kie added weakly. the pogues all drank some form of alcohol, aside from briar who drank from a can of sprite.

kie cried as they buried the box under the tree. briar sniffled as she sank to the ground. she was about five months pregnant now, and all alone.

so, so alone.

🃏

"hey," briar said weakly as dr. bradshaw came into the room. the valentine girl still wore some sweatpants from a few days prior and a stained t shirt that still smelled like john b.

she had cried the whole car ride over, kiara and cecelia accompanying her instead of john b.

"hey," dr. bradshaw came over and hugged briar slightly. "i'm sorry, honey. i am."

"yeah," briar sniffled. "you're one of the only people who is."

"oh?" dr. bradshaw said as she took briar's vitals.

"somebody told me at heyward's last week that my baby was bound to be a murderer," briar almost laughed. "mr. heyward told him to take his buissness elsewhere. rafe tried to kill me."

"wait," kie stopped. "you didn't tell me that."

"yeah," briar sighed. "i guess i didn't."

it was the week after john b and sarah had disappeared into the storm. briar was in bed, as she so often had been.

it was three in the morning, and all the lights were out. she shouldn't have been awake. most people weren't. but she was.

she was listening to old voicemails john b had left her.

there was one from when they first started talking; hey, uh, valentine, it's me, john b routledge. i just thought, um, you know, that is was pretty cool, what you did after church today. i was driving by, saw you throw topper down, it was badass. anyways, please don't call me back, this is embarrassing, goodbye.

there was one from after they kissed the first time at a halloween party, both a bit tipsy. hey! briar! wow, hey! you're obviously super busy dissecting every second we spent together like i am, so no worries. i just wanted to say, i could die a happy man if i got to kiss you again, so kiss me again, soon, please. don't call me back, this is embarrassing.