xiii. midsummers part one

XIII. MIDSUMMERS PART ONE

"good morning!" cecelia valentine said happily as she flipped on the big light in briar's room

"ah, no, mom!" briar groaned, hiding her face in her pillow. "not the big light!"

"oh, hush, child," cecelia opened briar's window, the beach breeze floating in. "we need to get your dress resized, get up. breakfast is ready."

briar walked slowly down the stairs in her pajamas and slippers. "good morning, brenda." she mumbled as she took some bacon and biscuits from the trays the housekeeper had prepared in the kitchen.

"good morning, sweet girl," brenda said with a smile as she poured briar some orange juice. "your mother says we're getting your dress resized today for the baby."

"yeah," briar sighed. "she wants it to fit perfectly."

🃏

"mom, this dress is awful!" briar groaned as she looked in the mirror in the cameron's guest bedroom. "everyone's gonna know i'm pregnant."

"everyone already does," cecelia chided as she curled holly's hair. it was tradition for the valentines and camerons to get ready for the big event together.

"where's sarah?" briar asked as wheezie came back in and plopped herself in front of her cousin.

"she's not coming," wheezie mocked her sister. "can you do my hair please?"

"of course," briar said grabbing the flat iron. "straight or curly?"

"straight," wheezie said. "and yeah, sarah's not coming."

"are you serious?" briar groaned. "there's no way. mom, go tell sarah she has to come."

"you know that if i mention it, she's gonna want to go even less," cecelia sighed as she moved on to the next section of holly's hair. "why don't you talk to her?"

"because," briar sighed. "i spent all day with her yesterday and i need some space."

"does being pregnant get you annoyed with everyone?" wheezie asked honestly.

"yes, wheezie. yes, it does."

"that makes sense," wheezie nodded, flinching when briar held the flat iron too close to her ear. "i'd be annoyed if i had a little person kicking out my insides."

"you understand me, my sweet wheeze," briar pat her cousin's shoulder, unpinning a section of hair.

"sarah says she's not going," wheezie reported to rose when she walked in the room.