xxiv. how do we come back from this?

XXIV. HOW DO WE COME BACK FROM THIS?

"there goes the gold," pope groaned as a plane flew above them

"there goes the gold," pope groaned as a plane flew above them. "fuck!"

the heyward boy was kicking and screaming. he picked up things and threw them around. briar stepped closer to kie, a little scared.

"pope!" kie yelled. the heyward boy breathed heavily.

"yeah, dude," jj nodded. "i was wondering when this was gonna happen." jj handed pope a blunt. "a little weed never hurt no one."

"jj," kie scolded.

"relax, kie," the boy turned around.

"you know he doesn't smoke," kie reasoned. briar's eyes widened as pope took the joint from jj.

"well, maybe not until today," jj sighed. they all sighed. they were utterly defeated.

"pope," kie scolded. "yeah, what is that gonna help?"

"i lost my scholarship. walked out in the middle of the interview," pope admitted. "it's gone. it's not gonna happen."

"kie," briar plopped onto the couch next to the boys. "if i weren't pregnant, i'm pretty sure i'd be smoking weed right now too."

"if you weren't pregnant, you'd be sitting with topper thorton at the country club, hiding your relationship with jb," jj said.

"damn right," briar nodded, her head leaning onto the blonde's shoulder.

"you did that for us?" kie said in shock to pope.

"no, not for us," pope shook his head. "for nothing." he stepped close, getting in kie's face.

"i'm here for you, pope," jj pulled pope away from kie. "welcome to my world, okay?"

"jj. . ." kie said hoarsely.

"what, kie?" jj snapped. "he's right. it doesn't matter anymore."

"you don't have to do that," kie said to pope, her voice breaking.

"what do you care?" pope snapped at her. pope eyes widened as he looked behind the group.

"dude! dude, you good?" jj turned and ran for john b.

"hi! hey, hi!" briar ran over and threw her arms around him. he pat her back, almost numb.

"oh, my god! john b!" kie ran over.

"is this yours?" jj grabbed one of john b's bloody hands briar hadn't noticed.

"whose blood is that?" kie asked fearfully.

"is?" briar's voice broke. "is sarah okay?"

john b nodded absentmindedly.

"you okay, man?" jj pat john b's shoulder. the routledge boy's eyes filled with tears.