xxxviii. just a teenage girl

XXXVIII. JUST A TEENAGE GIRL

"hey," briar hugged jj tightly as she got out of the car at the kildare county detention center

"ready, princess?" he asked briar as they walked towards the door.

"as i'll ever be," she smiled, lips tight with a thousand things unsaid.

briar had, in fact, washed her hair. it hung wet down her back, leaving a mark on her keep austin weird t-shirt that she'd bought john b on spring break. she had on her tried and true jean shorts with a rubber band holding the button on.

jj saluted two cops as they exited the prison and flipped them off when they turned around. briar slapped his shoulder lightly.

"please be respectful," she said. "i'd like to actually see john b today."

"we're here to see john b routledge," jj said loudly to the man inside. jj had headphones on, blasting a song briar didn't like.

"no music, and get rid of the toothpick," the guard explained.

"i can't hear what you're saying, man, all right?" jj spoke loudly back. "these things are on full blast. that's what i said. me and the princess are here to see john b routledge.

the guard used hand signals to repeat his commands to jj.

"wait, music?" jj asked.

"cut it out," briar snapped and yanked his headphones off. she pulled the toothpick from his lips and snapped it in half.

"oh!" jj said annoyingly. "i mean, i thought it was a free country and all, but, uh, i guess you don't like freedom very much, now do you, cupcake?"

"shut up," briar snapped and hit him on the arm. "sorry, sir."

"take off your hat and empty all your pockets," plumb came out of the door and spoke to the two teens.

briar placed her car keys, phone, two lifesaver mints, and a hair tie in the little bin.

plumb walked the two teens back to the prisoners. "hey!" a prisoner yelled. "pretty lady! why don't you come in here?"

briar flipped the man off and continued to meet her boyfriend.

"five minutes each," plumb said. "miss valentine, you're first. wait in the hall, jj." jj squeezed briar's hand before letting her go.

"hey," briar released a breath she'd been holding when she saw john b's familiar sun-bleached hair.

"briar, my beautiful girl," john b gushed as she kissed him. the two were wrapped up in each other. briar perched on the table to keep their lips connected. she ran her hands over john b's face, trying to memorize every bit. his hands longed to run through her hair, his cuffs preventing him.