xxxvi. i am so goddamn alone

XXXVI. I AM SO GODDAMN ALONE

"finally," jj sighed as kie and pope pulled up to the end of the dock

"finally," jj sighed as kie and pope pulled up to the end of the dock. "hey! guys, don't tie up. stop it!"

jj ran ahead of the group down the dock.

"what?" kie's brow creased in confusion.

"we're dipping," jj said as he hopped in.

"wait, why?" pope asked.

"what? what are you talking about?" kie said.

"i got it," sarah insisted as john b and briar helped her down onto the boat.

"what happened last night?" john b said, slightly upset.

"we slept on the break. what's up?" pope looked around in confusion.

"slept, right. yeah," jj pat pope on the shoulder. "we were up all night."

"yeah, fucking crazy people," briar huffed as sarah leaned against her.

"we gotta get the hell out of here," john b tossed his backpack onto the boat.

"rafe knows we're here," sarah informed. "so we have to leave, like, now."

"okay," kie nodded and began to undo the boat ties.

"come on," pope helped briar onto the boat.

"you all right?" john b asked sarah.

"yeah, yeah," she panted.

🃏

"look, if rafe and barry know, it's only a matter of time," kie said as the teens settled down.

"before everyone knows," pope finished.

"i told you!" jj yelled angrily. "we should've just gone south, man."

"just stop it," john b snapped. briar sat on his lap, curled into his side. her hair was starting to curl up in the humidity and her baby hair tickled john b's neck.

"why does no one ever listen?" jj yelled.

"i get it. i get it. i understand," john b said.

"i have an idea," sarah said shakily. "with me back, my dad's going to have to choose between me and rafe."

the pogues heads all snapped up. "sarah, honey, no," briar shook her head."

"he's gonna choose me," sarah said feebly.

"just please listen," john b interrupted. "ward keeps lying to you, sarah."

"sarah, he won't agree after all that's happened," kie shook her head.

"no," sarah said sharply. "i . . . i know it sounds crazy."

"yeah, it does," kie said, getting worked up.