Chapter 58: A Phone Call

31 Weeks Along

-Ava's POV-

"You look good."

"Hmmmmm."

"Really lovely Ava. Right fit." Poppy smiles at me as I turn to the side, glancing at myself in the dressing room mirror.

Over the past few weeks my belly has swollen even more so, making a trip to buy some new maternity clothes a necessity.

"I think I'll get it." I nod to myself before stepping back inside the small changing room and sliding the curtain closed.

I have the next sundress just pulled on when I hear Poppy's hesitant voice.

"So... have you decided if you're going to SG Awards?"

I sigh quietly, but don't respond as I smooth out the dress over my stomach.

"It's in what? Six weeks right?" She goes on as I step outside and in front of the mirror. "If you are.. You should probably order a dress now. Don't think they make couture maternity gowns..."

I turn around in the mirror, looking over my shoulder to see the back of the dress. A bit to short I think.

"I'm not going to stop going on about it just because you're ignoring me." Poppy speaks up, stepping up behind me.

My eyes meet hers in the mirror, and I purse my lips.

"I don't really like this one, do you?" I question, stalling for time.

"To short." She looks me up and down quickly. "You're expecting a baby, not trying to get attention from any bloke that passes you on the street. Now about that..."

"I don't know Poppy." I frown. "I don't know alright?"

"You afraid of seeing him?"

"No." I answer quickly as I head back into the changing room and close the curtain.

"No?" Poppy questions me.

"No." I raise my voice slightly as I pull the dress over my head. "I don't really have any feelings towards it."

I hear Poppy scoff, "Sure."

I ignore her as I put my regular clothes back on, more then ready to leave this store. It suddenly seems very stuffy and hot in here.

When I step outside the changing room Poppy raises an eyebrow at me.

"You know he probably won't even be there."

"Doesn't matter." I shrug, heading towards the counter to purchase the clothes I liked.

"Well if it doesn't matter, then why wouldn't you go?" Poppy follows after me.

"It's just an award show Poppy."

"It's not just an award show." She huffs as I drop my clothes into the counter in front of an older teenage girl. "It's the Songwriters Guild. And you're nominated for best love song!"

"I write cause I love to make music, not for an award." I give the girl behind the counter a smile as she looks at me questioningly.

"Oh don't be so stuck up." Poppy shakes her head at me. "That's a load of shite. Is it because you're nominated for a song you wrote about him?"

"Stop." I widen my eyes at her, glancing towards the teenage girl. "Let's talk about this later alright?"

Poppy rolls her eyes at me but shuts her mouth as I finish paying and we leave the small boutique.