Chapter 43

Hajime lay on her new bed, eyes captivated on one of her new books, when she heard a knock.

'She's a mind reader, so that means I can't let intrusive thoughts take over. But what's my approach? I know she doesn't want to do this, which means she's fully aware that she doesn't have to speak. Maybe I should get to know her first, as a person rather than a patient. That seems best.'

Hajime opened the door, shocking the therapist. "It would be a good idea, if I didn't know it was a tactical approach. You're gaining my trust so I'll spill my heart and soul into your notebook." She explained. "I'm Kokoro Hajime, would you like to come in?"

Hesitantly, the woman gulped, but followed the girl into the room. It was always good for her to get a look into something so personal, it gave her an impression of what comforted her patient. For example, the fairy lights looked calming, and the bulky headphones that sat on her desk displayed the side effects of her quirk.

'I'm usually in my office.' She thought and looked for a place to set up.

"You can sit at my desk, I'll take the bed." Kokoro instructed, answering the woman's questions.

"Sorry." She replied, slightly embarrassed of her own actions.

"It's fine." The telepath said.

"My name is Chieko Kaneko, but you can call me Chieko." The woman started a conversation, despite Hajime already knowing her name.

"You already know who I am, but since we've just met, I'd prefer you to call me Hajime. At least until we become closer." Kokoro requested, she didn't want to become friends with this woman, if she did, then she'd fall into her trap.

"Okay Hajime, where shall we start?" Chieko wondered.

'Should I cut to the chase or slowly pull of the bandage?' The therapist asked herself.

"That won't be necessary, I don't want to talk about the incident. It's not exactly why you're here. If anything, the trauma I pick up from strangers in the street is worse. Let's start there." The telepath instructed, taking charge on the situation.

"Oh, that isn't exactly how our sessions work. You see, I usually ask questions and you'd answer them. The questions I ask will be beneficial to both of us." Chieko countered, thinking of her first question. "Why don't you want to talk about that night? Is there something you're hiding?"

Instantly, Chieko had figured it out, maybe she'd been smart, or perhaps it was by chance. Either way, there was no way she was going to answer that question.

"Don't you have to consider your patients requests? That was just plain rude."

'Shit, that was too much of a step. I'm still far too new for this.' Chieko panicked, her breathing quickened and Hajime could read her easily.

The telepath turned and lay on her bed, facing the ceiling to give her therapist some privacy. Somehow, she always ended up in situations like this, maybe reading peoples minds was too invasive. Every aspect of her life made her question that.

"My plan was actually to sit here in silence for an hour." The girl began. "But I read your mind, you seemed dedicated to helping me so I thought I'd play along. But I don't want to discuss the incident, that won't change."

"I'm awfully sorry." Chieko apologised. "Would you mind if I asked you a different question?"

"Shoot."

"How was your day today? Moving away from your family must be difficult." Her approach completely changed for the better, which was slightly reassuring for the mind reader.