14

Eira had a nightmare about that night. She woke up breathing heavily in a cold sweat. She couldn't seem to catch her breath.

"Miss Snow," she heard Jarvis from above. "You seem to be having a panic attack again. If you'll just take slow, deep breaths on my count..."

Five seconds in. Five seconds out. Five seconds in...She kept repeating it until she could breath normally with the help of Jarvis.

She pulled her knees to her chest as she stared at the wall with tears down her face. She wouldn't be able to go back to sleep but she was nevertheless grateful for the AI. "Thank you, Jarvis."

"You are most welcome, Miss Snow," he said before offering. "I could always play soft music over the speaker if that would help with your sleep."

"No," she denied. "That's okay."

She didn't deserve a peaceful sleep; of that, she was sure.

_____

Tony had finally destroyed all the weapons that were still in the hands of terrorists overseas. There was a small party at his mansion in celebration.

            Around people they were a bit more cordial with each other. She was seated on the couch in the main room; there had been a few people sitting between her and Tony but they were now up and mingling. Rhodey was locked in a conversation with Pepper and Tony was free for the moment.

        She analyzed him and the small cuts on his face. She uttered quietly to him, "I'm glad you're safe."

           She worried for him each time that he went out in his suit. She knew it would protect him but it wasn't foolproof.

           He didn't look at her as he responded and took a swig from his drink, "Too bad you couldn't wish that enough for other people, could you?"

          Her eyes glossed up for a moment before Tony quickly left his seat to get away from her. She blinked her tears away before she reached out and grabbed the drink on the table (she didn't even know what it was) and she chugged it down. And she drank every other drink that was handed to her.

           _____

          She wasn't sure what it was about alcohol but it sure numbed her feelings. It was nice as she talked to some rich guy as she leaned against the wall; things seemed to sway otherwise if she moved from it.

Tony was across the room and had two girls on his arm but he was growing increasingly furious. She was over there and she kept smiling at whatever the hell the guy was saying to her. He was mad that he didn't like it.

He was mad that he had these feelings and he hated that he couldn't make them go away. He never wanted to look at her again after what she told him but he couldn't help but look at her. She captured his attention in any room that she was in. She infuriated him.

As he watched her with a growing annoyance and irritation, he couldn't take it any longer. He did something very mean but in a way he wanted her to hurt because her past had hurt him.

"I'd like to make a toast..." he stepped forward with a loud voice.

Everyone turned to his attention and he raised his glass as his eyes pierced hers as he spoke snidely, "To Eira, a one of a kind person I've met. A literal angel. Right, Eira?"

"Dude, what are you doing?" Rhodey questioned him quietly for the completely rude tone he was using.

Eira felt her eyes sting for the way he was calling her out. But she held her ground as she couldn't take it anymore, "What do you want, Tony? Do you want me to feel bad because you know I do..."

"I want you to feel guilty!"Tony yelled at her.

"I am guilty!" she screamed back at him.

The room became a screaming match between them and Pepper started shuffling people out with wide eyes. They obviously needed to work out whatever it was they were mad about.

"Okay, you two need to cool off," Rhodey held his arms between them for them to back off.

"You think I don't wake up in the middle of the night with nightmares. I do, Tony!" she shouted. "Every night!"

"That's not good enough!"

"What do you want me to do?" she pleaded loudly as she started to cry and all the alcohol was making the world sway. "What do you want? If you want my heart to stop beating then tell me and, trust me, it will...."

"It will," she cried. "I'll do that for you."

"Maybe I do," Tony said impulsively in grief.

She clutched at her chest as she breathed heavily and black dots encroached on her vision. Her body swayed and she said quietly, "Okay, Tony..."

"Eira..." Tony furrowed his eyebrows at her odd coordination before her world went black.

"Eira!" Tony jumped past Rhodey as her body started to fall and his instincts to protect her took over. He caught her in his arms at the last minute but she was unresponsive.

"Eira. Eira," he called as he placed a gentle hand her cheek. "Snowflake, I need you to open your eyes for me."

Rhodey crouched down next to them and felt for a pulse on her neck, "She's alive."

"But Tony, if she dies because you told her to..." Rhodey shook his head.

"I said maybe. She can't die if I said maybe," he denied as he instinctively held her closer. "She's not dying."