Chapter 7: Fight Back

"My safe word is strawberry."

—~—

Third Person POV

"What is it, (l/n)?"

(Y/n) jumped at the question as Rindo sighed at her reaction. It was very apparent that the (y/h) female had something in mind whenever he glanced back at her— questioning why she became so eerily silent. If it wasn't her silence, she was overall just very jittery.

Seeing her submit to fear was such a drastic contrast to her undefeated personality and he inwardly enjoyed the sight. Granted, it wasn't because of him that she was being this way, but his original plan of breaking her down till she knew where she stood was taking effect and he'll take it.

"What?" She snapped out of her daze and glanced at him, "Ah... it's nothing."

"You look constipated," he spoke and gave a taunting smirk, "Are you that scared?"

An immediate frown settled on the (h/c)-nette's face, "I'm not."

The blonde could only hum in response and suddenly spun around to face her. She stopped as soon as he did but she didn't expect him to poke her forehead right between her brows.

"Tell that to the wrinkles on your face," he snickered whilst (y/n) pouted and slapped his hand, "Anyways, you didn't answer my question. What are you thinking?"

"I still don't understand why you didn't let me talk to those guys earlier," the young girl finally spoke her mind, "I thought you wanted me to speak for you?"

"It was pointless, and intimidation works sometimes— like earlier," he shrugged and kept his gaze forward, "You don't need to talk to the people who don't know a whole lot, you need to talk to those who do. I'm just speeding up that process and skipping to the main part."

"Which reminds me," she started and Rindo let out a 'hm?' sound for her to continue, "Why aren't you with your brother? Aren't you guys inseparable? Isn't he more apart of this than I will ever be?"

"Like I said, it's more of a... personal reason why I want to do this by myself," he released an inaudible sigh while (y/n) thought it was rather stupid of him not to have the extra help. It would be faster and maybe she'll have double the protection of being in harm's way, "Don't let it concern you too much. I'll deal with the problem before you can get more involved."

Although it may have sounded sweet to anybody who might've overheard, the cocky delinquent remained relatively indifferent about what he said. He didn't want her in any more part of his life than she had to be.

"I'm not concerned about your business, I'm concerned on how much I will be targeted the more I go along with this," she said in a matter-of-fact tone. It wasn't meant to sound uncaring but more of a statement of facts, "But I won't complain about my fear any longer. I did propose this whole ordeal so I might as well live up to my word."

"You may be annoying but at least you have some sense in you," he sent a knowing grin as he enjoyed this girl's foolish way of thinking as if she'll be a-ok with her actions, "Maybe I won't just walk away and do my own thing when I bring you to the gang hideout."

"Hey, you promised, remember?" (Y/n) glared at the back of his head and smacked his left arm with the back of her hand.

"And you're expecting me to uphold said promise?" He looked behind and quirked a brow in surprise as well as a bit of amusement, "I could very much just use you for my own benefit and ignore your conditions completely."